Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Art sites on the 'net?

1. Other Art sites on the 'net?

Not to be critical, but the amount of enthusiasm for this board seems lacking, and continues to diminish. I'll still post here and hang out, sure, but I was wondering if you guys know of any other sites/forums out there that deal more specificallyy with art and art-related stuff.

I heard about deviantart.com and signed up there, but I'm not sure about it yet. Main problem is how slow their server is, which annoys me before I can even get to the meat of anything.

So, any suggestions out there?

2. http://www.penciljack.com

Has a good board there. Really active. I think you'd fit in fine with your style. I didn't post there long, but if I was more active with illustrating, I certainly still would be.

The only responses I tend to have for people's art is "that looks neat" so I rarely ever actually post it in here. But a lot of you have neat looking drawings. hurray!

3. Yeah, that's like what I was looking for. Thanks.

4. www.shaneglines.net

Go to the forum, the top half is the Drawing Board.

5. CGTalk.com it has 2D art as well. But everybody there is uber good and most have real world credentials. People from the gaming industry visit the site all the time to find prospective talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. My friend would kill me if I did not mention Art Attack
    bastard of the new world order.

7. TAC (The Art Corner) was one I was into for a while. Can't remember the url...thos google it up and I'm sure you'll find it.

www.teamphotoshop.com - not exactly an 'art' community, but a great group nontheless.

www.theispot.com - Professional and amature illustrators get together to discuss anything and everything. I've just started posting, and all the people I've talked to are nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. I sometimes post at WetCanvas.com, they have a large variety of boards, so I'm sure you could find one that you would fit in. I joined Deviant a while back, but I didn't dig it too much. It really felt like 99% of the people who posted about your stuff were just hoping you would look at theirs. Lots of replys like "Wow, that is really nice, hey look at my page!"

Honestly though, most art forums are like this. I'm not going to be an asshole about someone's art, that is just rude, but if I see something that I don't like, I just don't comment. There are a lot of people out there that post in every thread & compliment everyone on their work, regardless of who or what it is. Makes it kind of hard to take what they say seriously.

JM

9. Originally posted by JM
    I sometimes post at WetCanvas.com, they have a large variety of boards, so I'm sure you could find one that you would fit in. I joined Deviant a while back, but I didn't dig it too much. It really felt like 99% of the people who posted about your stuff were just hoping you would look at theirs. Lots of replys like "Wow, that is really nice, hey look at my page!"

Honestly though, most art forums are like this. I'm not going to be an asshole about someone's art, that is just rude, but if I see something that I don't like, I just don't comment. There are a lot of people out there that post in every thread & compliment everyone on their work, regardless of who or what it is. Makes it kind of hard to take what they say seriously.

JM
    Yeah, I've started checking out some dedicated sites, and it feels a bit worthless. Feels like my time would be better spent just *doing* some more art than trying to discuss it.

10. Yeah, I hear ya. My paintings don't get much of a response over there either. Either my paintings are no good, or the people there are just way more intrested in pallet knife paintings of trees & rivers. I can understand why my stuff doesn't fit in here, but the general lack of response on a dedicated art site is kind of dissappointing.

On a somewhat related note, I'm prepairing to apply for a month long show at the local Arts & Humanities gallery space. It would be very nice if it happened, this will look good on future applications to other galleries. They also take no commission from any sales you get, which is very cool.

I also just started on my biggest canvass yet, 3'x5'. This is the first one I have built myself, & the whole experience has been quite fun. I have been so pumped to start on it that the most difficult part of the painting was completed in about 45 minutes! I really suprised myself with how quicklly it went.

JM