Thread: My little foray into the record industry...

My little foray into the record industry...

I've aluded to this in some of the few posts I've made on this board (member/mostly troll since the beginning), but 6 months ago I formed my own record label (Win/Lose Records) and have plunged myself into the music business. I've considered it for years, but I decided that there was no time like the present.

The first release is "Disappointment is a Common Ground" a 7-song EP by A Certain Something, a female-fronted pop/rock/punk band out of Milford, CT. I believe that they are the most talented band in CT in their genre. The EP blends alot of their early pop-punk material with some of their newer, harder material (the direction they are headed in). They've played with some excellent bands including Senses Fail, Allister, Spitlfield, the Bottomline, Mae, Hidden in Plain View, River City High, among others.

It's been quite a learning experience and, although it was quite trying, it was great fun the entire way. Here are some links:

www.acertainsomethingrock.com

and here are the mp3's:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/403/...something.html

"Wonder Why" represents their earlier poppy material and "How Ironic" is much harder, more representative of their current incarnation, and in my opinion, the best song of the CD (it will be the one sent to radio)

Any opinions are welcome, good or bad

Thanks

2. i'd actually be interested in hearing just how you form your own record label - I mean... not a discertation but an explanation of how you started. And I'll check that band out as well.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

3. Since you're up there in CT why not try to get them on the LocoBazooka ticket this year. They could get some good exposure that way. It broke God Smack and Revelle.

I'm with station... How'd this start? What'd you do?

As for the band, maybe it's just not my thing, but it seemed really generic. The production was somehow very antiseptic. They need to dirty up their sound some. And 'Wonder Why' was better than 'How Ironic'.

As for the band, maybe it's just not my thing, but it seemed really generic. The production was somehow very antiseptic
    hahah...yeah, it many ways i agree. It was a challenge since they have a reputation as being a very good live band and that it tough to translate at times in the studio (especially on a limited budget and time-table). My best advice is to crank it real loud.

i'd actually be interested in hearing just how you form your own record label - I mean... not a discertation but an explanation of how you started. And I'll check that band out as well.
    Well, it was actually alot easier than i thought. Legally, it required only a few forms and less than 100 bucks in fees. And down the road comes copyright and publishing and contractual issues (which as slighty more complicated but no where near overwhelming).

The actual hardparts are startup cash (to pay for production, pressing and promotion), keeping the books (save every reciept and document every expense), and, of course, convincing talent to get on board.

That's about as general as I can get. Any specifics, lemme know

Sign my band, and send us on tour... forever.

7. Originally posted by amerlop
    hahah...yeah, it many ways i agree. It was a challenge since they have a reputation as being a very good live band and that it tough to translate at times in the studio (especially on a limited budget and time-table). My best advice is to crank it real loud.

Well, it was actually alot easier than i thought. Legally, it required only a few forms and less than 100 bucks in fees. And down the road comes copyright and publishing and contractual issues (which as slighty more complicated but no where near overwhelming).

The actual hardparts are startup cash (to pay for production, pressing and promotion), keeping the books (save every reciept and document every expense), and, of course, convincing talent to get on board.

That's about as general as I can get. Any specifics, lemme know
    I assume its run out of your house right now correct? Do you essentially just fill out forms legalizing a "small business" venture and then get certified or something? How does that work?
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

Originally posted by station82o
    I assume its run out of your house right now correct? Do you essentially just fill out forms legalizing a "small business" venture and then get certified or something? How does that work?
    pretty much...i filled out a small business certification form with the city (mostly know as a "DBA" which stands for "doing business as ")...this certifies me as a sole proprietorship (as opposed to a corporation or a limited liability corporation, LLC. which i plane to be in a year or two). That allows me to accept checks under a business name and qualifies me to fill out different taz forms where i can deduct business expenses from my personal income statement. I also had to get a retail liscense and trademark/name registration. Since I work out of my house i hae a room that i designate as my office and, as such, i am eligible for some deductions.

Any of the aforementioned forms are usually available at your city or town clerks office.