Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion about stricter Moderation

Originally posted by Kidnemo
    88, you're a decent guy, but I think your custom status/location/sig is too much also.
    I changed it... because I love you so much.

2. Originally posted by 88mph
    I changed it... because I love you so much.
    lol!

the e makes all the difference mah man.

3. Originally posted by Nick
    Jeremy's right. As long as the rules are applied consistently, we are fine. I do not favor all kinds of rules for rules sake, which is why I never worried that the Board Rules were un-stickied. If we get more people like Burgundy, Master, and YAWA that can enforce civility and think on their feet, we won't have a thing to worry about. The current set of guidelines serves us well; it's the execution that needs works.
    It can start with having a more descriptive guidline of what's permissible in sig/location status for one.

what should and shouldn't be permissible outside of Fight Club (and the consistency and execution to maintain those guidlines)

...and that's just off the top of my head of what's pretty much already been conveyed. I for one think the rules SHOULD be not only applied but visibly seen to alleviate the argument "well, you guys have rules, but I never saw them so". that kills off any loopholes for those looking to see what they can get away with. granted I am aware you value the community as a whole but it seems fairly obvious to those within the community that took the time to bring this to our attention in a civil fashion that more steps are required beyond just a higher significant mod presence.

4. Who cares if the people see the rules or not.

Somebody does something wrong, BAM, warning with a link to the thread with the guidelines.

Second offense (after you KNOW you have showed them the guidelines), well, then....you take more strict measures.

5. You can take two approaches here: you can look at the lessons of experience or you can reason it out.

So, what has experience shown us? In the past, when restrictions were needlessly applied, people bailed. The draconian profanity filter drove people away. The sig restrictions that seemed random and needlessly picky drove people away. Why? Because TNL is not geared toward children, and free adults like some freedom to express themselves. Laws of this sort must cater to more than the pet peeves of the administrator or they will fail on some level.

The rules have evolved over time as some experiments tanked and others succeeded. We also see that these past few months on the boards have been the busiest ever. If you choose to go only by what works, then the next step is just to fine-tune what is there to find a happy medium.

The second approach is one of reason. Have the rules, but make them work for users instead of having the users work for them. This necessitates a top-notch moderating team and regular users who care. I feel this is ultimately the best approach.

6. Originally posted by Kidnemo
    Who cares if the people see the rules or not.
    I just realized that all of the main posters that are part of the current problem have been here for a long time. Way long enough to know all of the rules. To mention a few, MVS, AFX, MFG, & 88 have all been here since GameGo.
    What Sidez initally said to 88 wasn't trolling. The fact that everything about his current setup is offensive or against known board policies is painfully obvious. We all know damn well that 88 is sharp enough to know what the rules are.

I think it is all boiling down to selective moderation, all of these people have been part of the community for so long, it is almost unthinkable to ban them, so they never get called on their actions.

JM

7. ...ah, kinda like when we had issues with Lucas in the past and it was "unthinkable" to ban folks like him because he held enough influence that a signficant portion of the community would leave with him.

of course, I have no problems with J at all now and he's a relatively good contributor. (as it is with 7f)

beyond that, I suppose it definitely looks like selective moderation is in effect.

in other news, mwf was banned.

8. Originally posted by bahn
    in other news, mwf was banned.
    ... and 88 was asked to remove the offending sig. If the other two items are officially deemed out-of-line, I'm sure he would consider removing those as well.

I'm not so sure it's selective moderation, as it is lack of moderation. The people who can supposedly get away with murder here have been called on things when the mods see them.

9. I can't see a thing right now. I am wearing shades.

10. What kind? Raybahns?

*rimshot*