Thread: Kai Doh Maru

1. Kai Doh Maru

So I picked up Kai Doh Maru yesterday at Suncoast because I love the casing and it's by Production I.G. who did Blood and Ghost in the Shell.

Very interesting concept for a film. Totally digital and using a sort of washed out and glowy color scheme that the back cover says is remniscent of the time period it was representing.

So is it worth a purchase? Not sure, for me, it really isn't because the feature is only 45 minutes long and I didn't enjoy it as much as Blood or GiTS. The concept is interesting and the visuals unlike anything I've seen, but I couldn't help thinking how I needed to adjust the brightness of my set to make the picture more clear, but then there are moments when you know it's deliberate—the blood stands out brilliantly against the characters and backgrounds.

There are sporadic bursts of extreme violence that I enjoyed. Almost no lead up to the violence also, it just happens between dialogue, pans of 3-D backgrounds, and long black pauses between scenes. And then it sort of just ends, leaving you wondering, "wouldn't this had been better as a full length feature?" I think so.

As I said, the film is unique and I'm glad I experienced it, but I'm not sure if I'd ever watch it again, so it's off to the Depot for this one.

What are your thoughts?
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

2. What is it about? I think I might have seen the adds for it in Play.

I honestly didnt like Blood all that much. While it was pretty and all, it was somewhat lacking both action and story, and could have used a longer run time.

3. ...

There's a pretty good review of it here --

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/kaidohmaru.shtml

4. Excellent. Thank you Off to read it, I go

5. ...

If you're interested, my copy is for sale and I also have Cop on a Mission w/ Daniel Wu and Eric Tsang and Moon Warriors...I think you have every other DVD I'm selling (might have these too!)

6. Well, It was one of the most incomprehensible reviews I ever read. Writer went on and on, about nothing, and ......

At least he mentioned that action scenes were somewhat good.

7. ...

problem is the movie is that way too...too many ideas crammed into 45 minutes...