Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '80s fantasy flicks

1. Originally posted by FuryFox
    Let's not forget Red Sonja.
    (...if I had to see it, then you all must as well...)

But but but, it's got Ernie Reyes Jr.! He would go on to star in the masterpiece Surf Ninja's! Seriously though, this was no worse than Conan the Destroyer.

Originally posted by BioMechanic

How about Clash of the Titans? Wasn't that an 80s product?
    The Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings
    Clash: Just barely(81)
    LotR: 70's

And even though I just dissmissed Bakshi's very..."interesting" LotRs rendition because it was made in the 70's, I'm still gonna say Wizards(Late 70's also). Not the greatest flick and contains bizarro rotoscoping throughout but it seems to be required viewing.

2. Krull kicks all sorts of ass. I think it was James Horner's first movie as a composer.

Flight of the Dragons another one of my favorite movies, animated or otherwise...

BTW, there were a ton of crappy 80's fantasy B-movies that I saw on video, I'm not sure if they ever were in the theaters:

Excalibur
    The Beastmaster
    Sword and the Sorcerer
    The Barbarians
    Yor the Hunter

I remember really liking 80's fantasy flicks because of all the gratuitous nudity in them. Ahh the good ole' 80's...
    Right, because if anything validates the existance of a handheld piece of shit, it's taking those shitty handheld games and placing them on a screen big enough so that the inherent flaws of the software is visible to all humans. Including Ray Charles.

3. Originally posted by Gutsman
    Krull kicks all sorts of ass. I think it was James Horner's first movie as a composer.

Flight of the Dragons another one of my favorite movies, animated or otherwise...

BTW, there were a ton of crappy 80's fantasy B-movies that I saw on video, I'm not sure if they ever were in the theaters:

Excalibur
    The Beastmaster
    Sword and the Sorcerer
    The Barbarians
    Yor the Hunter

I remember really liking 80's fantasy flicks because of all the gratuitous nudity in them. Ahh the good ole' 80's...

Oh shit, I forgot about Excalibur. It's excellent.

I dunno what to think of the Beastmaster these days. Quite long and..odd. Don't bother with the sequel though.

Do NOT watch the Barbarians or your mind will melt.

4. Originally posted by Gutsman
    Krull kicks all sorts of ass. I think it was James Horner's first movie as a composer.
    Nope. According to iMDB, the first one he did was something called "The Watcher" in 1978. The first movie I remember him scoring was Star Trek II, which came out a year before Krull.
    For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him.

-- From Noctropolis: Night Visions

http://www.darquecathedral.org/images/drkcathedral.jpe http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/mko.jpe

5. Ooops sorry. Anyway I loved the soundtrack in Krull, it sounds very epic and "fantasy-like".
    Right, because if anything validates the existance of a handheld piece of shit, it's taking those shitty handheld games and placing them on a screen big enough so that the inherent flaws of the software is visible to all humans. Including Ray Charles.

6. Ok, I edited the list to reflect the suggestions that interest me. Thanks a bunch all!

Damn, Conan the Destroyer is out of print on DVD? That sucks.

7. Was The Care Bears Movie 70's? Seriously, it was that good.

8. Originally posted by ShineAqua
    Was The Care Bears Movie 70's? Seriously, it was that good.

85. There was a sequel movie in 86 which threw the entire story of the original out the window(Care Bear cousins my ass).

Another "animated" flick that may be worth your time is Fire and Ice.

Another rotoscoped Bakshi flick(Though they actually drew over everything so the rotoscoping actually looks good for once) with character designs by Frank Frazetta(He did all those Conan and uber buff guy artwork you've surely seen at some point). It's actually not that bad but is rather hard to find now. Blockbuster may still have copies for rent.

9. Originally posted by Melf
    Ok, I edited the list to reflect the suggestions that interest me. Thanks a bunch all!

Damn, Conan the Destroyer is out of print on DVD? That sucks.
    Still, Look on Ebay. I'm sure you will find it there.

Originally posted by BioMechanic
    Dragonslayer kicks piles of ass.
    Totaly agree. SFX in Dragonslayer are very impressive for that time. Its coming to DVD soon by the way. Its been a long while since I seen it

10. Columbia House has Conan the Destroyer for $20 new.

Dragonslayer is coming to DVD? Any info on when? That movie kicked much ass indeed.