Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Films you actually loved

1. Films you actually loved

Has anyone here ever watched a film that they were not expecting to ever see (whatever the circumstances may be) such as a different genre of film, a so called "chick flick" or a movie they thought would be boring... but actually ended up loving the film? I am sure that everyone here at least has two or more

me:

Chocolat - I had heard alot about this film, with its Academy Award nomimation and whatnot, and it looked quite unusual & different just from seeing the dvd cover, but I never bothered to see it due to this prejudice I held (now a thing of the past) of these types of films being "chick flicks".

Getting past that misconception has made me realize that alot of films I ignored in my teens were actually great films. After watching Pirates of the Caribbean I was interested in checking out more Johnny Depp films and low and behold my mother rents this one - I watched it and liked it very much, and it was ironic how the characters in Pirates of the Caribbean had alot in common philosophy wise with the characters in Chocolat. I do not usually watch films of this genre but no longer will I turn a blind eye to them, and I can see why Chocolat was nominated for the Best Picture award.

Kissing Jessica Stein - My mom had won a small contest she did not know she even entered awhile back and since then we've been recieving a free dvd every 6 months. You pick what you want and they send it to you... really shitty choices most of the time but its free so one can't complain. Past titles we got were daffs like "UHF" and "Naked Space", but the last time when looking at the selection sheet I decided to go for something relatively less stupid and picked a film that looked different.

When I got Kissing Jessica Stein I thought it was going to be some thoughtless date-comedy so I was not expecting much. By the end of the film I was pretty suprised by the film's content and story, I did not expect it to be of such matters, namely homosexuality. At the end though, and after watching it more than once it actually made me examine my attitudes towards homosexual people (I had always thought of myself as a tolerant and accepting person) and I realized that I wasn't as tolerant as I thought I was, and that I still harbored some homophobic sentiment. I can't really pinpoint what made me change, but watching this film made me realize that I needed to grow up and change my attitudes about alot of things. And I have ever since. It was not the greatest film I had ever seen, but it was one of the few that actually affected me in some way.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

2. homo!

3. The King and I. Yul Brynner owns.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. French Kiss.

I usually hate romantic comedies, but I adore this film.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

5. I really liked Little Women. I dont know why I even watched it, but I guess I was bored and it was on HBO, but I actually enjoyed that film quite a bit.

6. Originally posted by BioMechanic
    French Kiss.
    Yeah, what the hell? I know I really shouldn't like this movie, but I do.

My ass is twitching.

7. Originally posted by stormy
    homo!
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

8. Bring It On - I felt a thousand times gayer for watching it, but damn it to hell it was a good movie.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

9. Originally posted by OmniGear
    Bring It On - I felt a thousand times gayer for watching it, but damn it to hell it was a good movie.

I'll also add Spy Kids.

Carla Gugino is so hot.

edit: A Walk to Remember, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

10. Spy Kids is not an acceptable answer.

I'll add:

Amilee: Quirky French film...romantic comedy of sorts. g/f made me see it, but it's really well written.

Count of Monte Cristo: I don't normally care for that time period, or that type of movie without plenty of action, but the premise and characters were so good, that I enjoyed it.

Run Lola Run: Weird German film, which replays a scene over and over again with slight variations to the circumstance. Features Lola, who frequently runs.

Rocky I/II/III: Completely unrealistic and over-dramatized films about standard, western boxing (zzzz). Great films due to the characters and writing (Mr. T being my standout favorite, while Stallone's early "street goon" act was a less outrageous favorite).

The Craft: Okay, I don't really "love' this movie, but I thought it was just going to be a stupid story about girl-power via witchcraft, and instead it ended up being pretty entertaining.