Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House of the Dead 3 not cel-shaded anymore...?

1. There's been (surprisingly) very little info disseminated about this tite, and I really can't form much of impression of how this game will look based on the incredibly few screen shots I've seen (either early, or more recent).

Basically, I really don't know what to expect. More to the point, however (and probably because I'm a chump), I expect that I will purchase HOTD3 the instant it comes out, no questions asked. I'm going on faith with this one... and I expect Sega to deliver big time. Regardless, my $50 is as good as spent...

2. Yay. I'm very happy it's going back to the look it should have had from the very beginning. One question remains, could this possibly be a shot from the "realistic" House of the Dead game that was going to be based off the upcoming movie?

3. well... i really like the poster that Kabuki posted... but the one "cel-shaded" pic with the cel-shaded zombies don't look cool... at all...

... but we'll have to wait and see how it turns out...

BTW, the new EGM also has a few "normal" looking screens...

4. i hope they keep it looking like the original
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

5. NONE of the HOTD pics have EVER been cel-shaded. Cel shaded has to do with drawing an outline of black (usually) around the extremities of the polygons making it look like a cartoon. The pics you HAVE seen have flat textures, bright colors, and a general "no scary" feel. They have never, though, been cel-shaded.
    They were cel shaded, just not in the same style as JSRF/JGR. There are different types of cel shading, the black outline doesn't necessarily have to be there to make it cel shaded. The Gamecube Zelda used the same technique too with no real line definitions aside from color separations.

6. I would just like to say I think the first HotD3 pics looks tons better. The zombies look faster and better, and the slightly "over-the-top" animation (look at how the one in the middle is skidding in), make it seem like it'd be more fun to watch in action.

Besides, if I want HotD2, I'll play HotD2. The whole point of sequels is to take a game and push it in new directions while keeping familiar characteristics, not just add new levels.

7. Originally posted by MechDeus
    I would just like to say I think the first HotD3 pics looks tons better. The zombies look faster and better, and the slightly "over-the-top" animation (look at how the one in the middle is skidding in), make it seem like it'd be more fun to watch in action.

Besides, if I want HotD2, I'll play HotD2. The whole point of sequels is to take a game and push it in new directions while keeping familiar characteristics, not just add new levels.

That doesn't mean that there won't still be fast zombies. The one you speak of obviously was a diff type of zombie who prob had fast characteristics.

As far as pushing games in new directions, there's just some directions games shouldn't go.

8. Well, I'm just going by what they've shown so far, and the new shot seems to still have the shambling type (especially with so many) over speed. I dunno I guess I just prefer the look of the more cartoony one after the first two. He just looks more "fun" to kill then the normal guys, especially more then those annoying Choi-style bouncy fast buggers from the first two.

9. Originally posted by Chojin

That doesn't mean that there won't still be fast zombies. The one you speak of obviously was a diff type of zombie who prob had fast characteristics.

As far as pushing games in new directions, there's just some directions games shouldn't go.

How is this a direction that the HOTD series shouldn't go?
    It's a mirror image!

10. Originally posted by fentoozer

How is this a direction that the HOTD series shouldn't go?

Because it's damn ugly and doesn't fit the game at all. Obviously you won't agree with this since it's all really opinion and I'm just throwing mine out.

MechDeus:The only difference I can see is the graphics have changed, they never said they trashed all the original gameplay ideas that wa sin the cel-shaded version. You may very well still see that zombie you wanted to mutilate so badly except he'll be in a more "realistic" form. The shotgun is still there as well, so I expect some extreme violence and mayhem.