Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: Big Apple Anime Fest 2003

1. Thanks Ashen. I didn't notice Copic on the list of Dealers on the BAAF site, but it said the list wasn't complete, so I was just hopeful. I'll have to hit one of the art stores in NYC that carry their stuff.

Actually, now it appears that I'm free this afternoon after 2PM, so I might just jump a train into NYC right afterward and head in today. If anyone is looking for me, I'm 6'0", dark brown hair, wearing a black button down shirt and I'll be wearing a green napsack.

Eh, who am I kidding? No one'll be able to pick me out...

*EDIT* Never mind, I didn't go today. I'll probably go tomorrow.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. no copic booth.

but holy shit.... i'll say this right now and i absolutely mean it...

TOKYO GODFATHERS IS THE MOVIE OF THE FUCKING YEAR!!!

they literally completed it two weeks ago just so they could get it out for the BAAF. and honestly, i don't smile at the end of movies unless it's something special... and this movie will fucking own your soul. it owns mine. ain't nothing like Perfect Blue, and it ain't nothing like Millenium Actress. the story is straight forward, but entirely feel good. Dole, i swear to myself that you NEED to see it tomorrow at 12 noon. this'll be the last time you see it before it hits Japanese theatres in Nov. you will fall in love.

3. C-crap. I was really hoping to head up there today [Sunday], but alas... other things to be done.

Maybe that's a good thing, though... I probably would have spent all my college cash on junk in the dealer's room. Anything good up for grabs in there?

Ashen - "Nice" on Tokyo Godfathers. I read a snippet about it in Newtype, and it seems like a pretty interesting piece.

Did anyone catch Cat Soup?

4. Tokyo Godfathers = great. I'm glad I caught it. Thanks for telling me about it, Ashen. I watched some other stuff too, and I also checked out the Anime Idol contest.

Fuck, no Copic booth. Now I have to track down one of the art stores in NYC that sell their stuff. Oh, well.

Got a half-day pass. It's nice that they let you get one if you're not planning on staying until midnight. Last year Saturday (the day I went) was a fucking madhouse. I don't know how Saturday was this year, but Sunday was great- not too crowded at all.

Overall, BAAF wasn't as good as last year. The Dealer's Room seemed to have half the tables as it did last year, and each table ALL sold the exact same stuff it seemed. And most of it was stuff you could get fairly easily anyway, like manga. I only bought ONE thing- the Tenchu 3 soundtrack. Nothing else caught my eye. And not ONE Darkstalkers thing anywhere. What a scandal.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Quote Originally Posted by Click
    Anything good up for grabs in there?
    like Dole said, it wasn't that good, and everyone pretty much sold the same things. i can't speak about last year's fest, but the dealer's room got boring quick. variety was definitely lacking. most of my purchases went to Animeigo's booth. finally completed Oh My Goddess, picked up both Vampire Princess Miyu discs, and even bought Battle Royale H.S. also bought Cat Soup and Animation Runner Kuromi. i'll probably get to those tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Tokyo Godfathers = great. I'm glad I caught it. Thanks for telling me about it, Ashen.
    i had to spread the love. i made one guy change his mind about going to see Initial D this morning too, which i should have done myself. Third Stage was weak and couldn't hold my attention well enough to stop me from falling asleep. we probably would have ran into each other if i went to the TG line, but only if i knew what you looked like would it have mattered. Click, you should have gone today if just for Tokyo Godfathers.

don't know how Saturday was this year, but Sunday was great- not too crowded at all.
    saturday was pretty nuts. rooms were getting packed like hell, dealers room line was ridiculous from start to end, and horrible, horrible cosplayers just wouldn't die whenever you wished it. saw about 3 flicks and each time we had to get their at least 45 minutes before it started to get good seating. even earlier to get anything decent for Tokyo Godfathers. today was good though. not as busy and lines were fairly short. last day and all so i was expecting it to be like that. Tree of Palme was more or less filled though. movie was good, but way too long for my tastes... i dozed on and off during that too.

the Artist's Alley was weak. friday seemed dead, but i can't really say since i left early. saturday was a little better with some pretty decent artists showing off some fan work, and today was even better. some of my old h.s. chums were there showing off their doujinshi's and there were some underclassmen there as well. it was LaGuardia all up in there today, which i liked. i would have set up shop myself, but i'm not the type to go all out. i like to keep my work to myself most of the time.

gaming room sucked too. way too small and way too smelly. lines were ridiculously long for it. the CCG room was smellier and way too geeky for me.

this year was pretty good. went to see more movies (Parasite Dolls owns btw), and stayed to check out anything and everything. i'll definitely hit it up again next year.

I was actually going to go today (for the SC2 tournament), but I changed my mind. Oh well.
    http://images.southparkstudios.com/i...news/1632a.gif

CRAB PEOPLE!!!! CRAB PEOPLE!!!! TASTE LIKE CRAB, TALK LIKE PEOPLE!!!

7. top prize was an arcade stick. i was going to enter, but decided not to. didn't feel it was worth my time, and i wasn't going to wait on that line anymore.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Victor
    like Dole said, it wasn't that good, and everyone pretty much sold the same things. i can't speak about last year's fest, but the dealer's room got boring quick. variety was definitely lacking.
    Last year the Dealer's Room was amazing. They had a HUGE variety of stuff, you found different stuff at every table and there was about twice as many dealers. I loved it, and I bought a ton of stuff. The Dealer's room this year sucked ass compared to last year's. A total letdown.

9. well... last year's fest wasn't really a BAAF deal now that i think about it. only the films playing at the virgin megastore were BAAF, the con itself was Anime Expo. but still... i'd be pretty disappointed too going from a giant display last year to a smaller one this year. hopefully next year more dealers will sign on.