Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat Soup

1. Watched it last night.

I can imagine this is one of those things where you either love it or hate it, but it was just too charming to dislike... The imagery, the sound, and the animation was all so alluring and... well, just really odd and abstract. Lots of great little scenes to be had in there: the water elephant, the circus... the pig meat! I can't think of a good adjective to use... they were just... exotic.

And the end sent a big chill straight through my body.

I've yet to watch the commentary, but I think I ought to watch it again to pick up some stuff that probably went by unnoticed.

Oh, and I was surprised to find out this was based on a manga.

It is based on a manga written by a husband and wife team--Hajime Yamano wrote the story and his wife "Nekojiro" did the drawings. According to The Anime Encyclopedia this 1999 title was taken off the air for being too hard-hitting even for late-night TV, but was brought out on video after Nekojiro's suicide in 2000.
    Go watch.

EDIT: The packaging highly assumes me, for some reason.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Click_Stick
    Watched it last night.

I can imagine this is one of those things where you either love it or hate it, but it was just too charming to dislike... The imagery, the sound, and the animation was all so alluring and... well, just really odd and abstract. Lots of great little scenes to be had in there: the water elephant, the circus... the pig meat! I can't think of a good adjective to use... they were just... exotic.
    a lot of the imagery was just too fantastic and i was just in awe at some of it (like the ones you mentioned). exotic? no doubt. surreal? sure. the show is just wow.

and the liquid packaging really does work well for this title. it's also damn fun to mess with!

3. I bought it yesterday at suncoast (the bloody version) and I believe its one of the first animes that I've bought all year that I actually like.....err...except for the miyazaki stuff that came out. I want a water elephant!

4. This sounds great... I saw an ad for it in Play magazine, and didn't know what to make of it. If nothing else I too must experience this strange packaging you all speak of.

5. This show rocks. I fully enjoyed all 30 minutes of it. I'm reviewing this soon, gonna watch it one or two more times before doing so (and listen to the commentary!). Good stuff - recommended if you like weird anime.

6. Thought it was allright, nothing great except a few bits like the water elephant. After FLCL hardly any experimental animation does it for me.
    pwned by Ivan