Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Soup

1. Cat Soup

I heard about this a few years ago, and later on that it might have a US release. Guess it did-
    http://www.animejump.com/cgi-bin/go....=video/catsoup

Haven't read the review, but I don't need to. I'll pick it up sometime.
    pwned by Ivan

2. Comes out September 9th. Get the version with the liquid packaging, simply because it sounds cool.

3. http://animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/2245.php

Didn't really read the review [never do], but I'm still curious about this one. I kinda like abstract stuff like this...

4. This sounds and looks really neat...but what the Hell is "Liquid Packaging?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Captain Vegetable
    This sounds and looks really neat...but what the Hell is "Liquid Packaging?"
    I have no idea, so I'm spending the extra $3 to find out.

6. bought Cat Soup at the BAAF. going for $25, but my friend talked some guy down to $20. dunno if i'd really pay that much for such a short show and not too many extras, but i did enjoy it overall.

i can't explain the liquid packaging, but you've all seen it before i'm sure. you'll no doubt end up touching it like a kid on sugar. to try to explain it... it's clear liquid with another red spot of liquid (i assume it's supposed to be blood) and two small pieces of the two cats. everytime you press the cover, the red liquid, and the two cats float around.

the show itself though...

it's weird. but very artistic.

there's no actual spoken dialog, and when there is some form of speech, it's either in a sound or a word bubble. and seeing that and few and far inbetween. the style of the show, i guess, is something like a plymptoon, but that might not even be accurate since i haven't seen a plymptoon in ages. but it's something i can imagine being seen on Liquid TV back in the day.

it's just hard to really explain this show. i personally think it's a bit hard to follow sometimes. it goes from one thing to another, but it doesn't seem like they're actually going anywhere. but the story is always progressing through. it's not really hard to understand what the point of the show is though, but the images that you see, you kinda wonder what they're supposed to mean. i hope it's all explained in the commentary as there are a lot of things that are so out there.

i don't even know how i could go on trying to describe Cat Soup. it's seriously something that you need to see and experience for youselves. while it's definitely NOT for everyone, i still have to recommend it at least for a few viewings, if not a purchase. if you're not into the artsy, experimental stuff, then stay away. but if you're really curious then jump right into it.

to sum it up though... it's weird. but good.

7. The art, from the little I saw, is pretty cool looking. The artsy experimental aspect is appealing to me. Any sort of plot or anything?

8. from the back of the packaging:

When little kitten Nyaako's soul is stolen by Death, she and her brother Nyatta embark on a bizarre journey to get it back. In the surreal dreamscape of the Other Side, they encounter many fantastic characters and remarkable, often disturbing adventures.
    that's actually the entire movie in a nutshell.

9. Hm, thanks Ashen. I suppose there are worse ways to blow a few dollars... I'm probably going to end up picking this one up along the line. [I think I've seen it for a mere $14...] I'm always piqued by out-there concepts.

10. Got it in the mail today. That is some messed up packaging! My floating kitties were stuck together, but I bled them apart.