• Yes! They're fine as-is.

4 57.14%
  • Yes! But they're too long.

0 0%
  • Yes! But they're too short.

1 14.29%
  • NO! THEY ARE TEH DEVIL! BLAAARARARAG!!1

2 28.57%
  • No! I'm a dialup user and they take too long to load!

0 0%

Thread: Thread Previews

1. Thread Previews

vB3 allows for thread previews -- i.e. hover your mouse over a thread title and a preview of the first post pops up. Do you like this feature? Dialup users, does this increase your loading times for the board?

VOTE!

Sounds good.

Cool idea that I will never use. Ever.

4. Thread previews are a good fit for help sites like vbulletin.com's forums, and a preview of some kind is great for search results (and this software has a "view results as posts" option built in), but in this kind of discussion forum, I feel it is a step back.

Unless you are at a site looking for a specific piece of information, what is the benefit of a preview text box? If anything, it discourages a reader from loading a thread he would otherwise look at. The title and any accompanying description line is/are more than enough to give you a general idea of what a discussion is about, except in "surprise" threads - which would be all but killed by the thread previews, incidentally.

I think thread previews on TNL would adversely affect discussion and take away some surprises and some incentive to enter a discussion. It encourages a half-hearted skimming of an index and a quick exit. Again, that's great for help sites, but makes little sense for a close-knit community.