Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D of the previous generation: Has it held up?

1. PC 3D of the previous generation: Has it held up?

I've been getting pretty spoiled by the current generation lately. Heck, I've been spoiled by good looking 3D since the DC was released. Lately I've been going back to the older systems to see how they hold up. Here's what I found:

Saturn: Not very well. Some games, like Radiant Silvergun's backgrounds and Grandia, still look very good. The majority, however, look like ass. Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga made me wince. Bug and Tomb Raider just plain hurt.Shining Force 3 looks good sometimes though. I was most saddened by Nights. It was so awesome when it first came out, and although it is still very much playable, the graphics have not aged well at all. On the bright side, Powerslave and Duke Nukem 3D still kick ass.

PSOne: Mixed bag. Disrupter has aged very well, as have Einhander and Rakugaki Showtime. Some, like G Darius and One, have not. The Resident Evil series has lost all its shine after playing the gorgeous GC versions. Even the DC versions of 2 and 3 look so much better. C-12 Final Resistance was just laughable (in more ways than one).

N64: Hmm. also a mixed bag. I, for one, always found the N64's textures to be uglier than the PSOne's. They were more detailed but too damn blurry for my tastes. OoT still looks pretty good, as do Mario 64 and Wave Race (all Nintendo games...coicidence?). Sin & Punishment is flat out ugly though. Star Soldier looks like a bad PSOne game but Ogre Battle and Shadowgate have pleasantly held up pretty well.

I didn't try too many games as you can see. That's why I want you guys to chime in. How has the previous generation of 3D held up?

2. Saturn: Hell no. Most (as in, all but 3) of the system's games just look awful.

N64: Hell no. BLURRY SMUT. I cant even play Zelda... WaveRace still looks nice, I havent played Mario 64 in a while.

PSOne: Pretty well. The biggest knock against the system now is the resolution, its just too low. But despite that fact a lot of games still look very good.

3. IMHO id say about 90% of last gens games graphically speaking have not held up
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

4. Much like the transition from 8 to 16 bit was for 2D, the transition from 32-to-whatever bit for 3D has seen the previous generation be almost entirely eclipsed by the newer generation of stuff. The concepts introduced during the 32 bit days have held up pretty well, and quite a few 3D games still look good today.
    Saturn - Nights still looks great, barring the character models of the kids when you first begin a level. Sega Rally still looks great thanks to the little graphical touches in it.
    N64 - Super Mario 64 is still impressive, Metal Mario still amazes me to this day. Barring blurry textures and somewhat blocky character models, many N64 titles hold up quite well.
    PSX - Thanks to some great use of lighting effects in titles, PSX 3D holds up nicely as well. R4 and the Wipeout games still look fantastic thanks to the rock-solid vehicle models and nice usage of lighting. One also holds up well thanks to lighting effects keeping the graphical flaws hidden nicely.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Hell no to all 3. I couldn't stand the 3D of PSX games when they were new. The poly count is just too low for my eyes, not to mention blurry, low rez textures. But there's no games I really like that fell into this catagory. If there were, I might feel a little differently.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

6. It's a testament to the Saturn's (underused) 2D power that games like Guardian Heroes, X-Men vs. SF, Astal, and others have all aged so darn well. It's a shame it wasn't used more. Dragon Force and Clockwork Knight both still look great.

7. I was one of those who were not terribly impressed with the 3D graphics styles on these systems when they were new. I found most early 3D games to be clunky and ugly at the time, even if the new gameplay styles were interesting. Strangely, my appreciation for some of those games visuals has actually increased over the years - probably because I only tend to look at the better games from that era nowadays and have been exposed to some games I missed out on back then.

I think that of the three Saturn games have aged the best because they tend to have a brighter palatte and more colourful styles which appeals more to me. N64 games are blurry and PSX games look washed out and greyish.

I still think NiGHTS looks absolutely beautiful and I even find some of the "chunkyness" of the graphics charming.

8. Melf, you're right about Dragon Force and CK (both of them) aging well graphically. It's still stunning to see all those soldiers on-screen in DF. CK's graphical style is so unique that it will probably be timeless. Just a couple of beautiful and fun games.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Nice custom status, sggg.
    I took all your French Toast.

lithium Guest
    It just depends on if the developer stuck with something the system could handle visually. Panzer Dragoon Zwei looks like complete ass because there was no way in hell the Saturn could pull off that type of environment. But Mario 64 looks fine.