Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle Royale (manga)

1. Quote Originally Posted by ShineAqua
    The manga came before the movie.
    Was that addressed at me?

2. To everyone in general, though Ashen mostly. I looks like Ashen thought that it came after through his camparrisons

3. Ahhh .. I was confused. The book came before all of them though, eh.

4. the novel came out in '99. both the movie and the start of the manga happened in 2000.

5. Quote Originally Posted by jiji
    Incredibly so. It's probably the goriest thing I've seen in manga/anime...it's downright medical at times.

I suppose some might say that that level of gore is necessary to cause the right amount of horror in a still medium, but I still prefer the movie's approach.

Just wondering ... how is the movie's approach to the gory aspects different than the manga? I'm curious.

6. in the manga, the gory bits are highly detailed, meaning, you'll see wide open cavities, eyeballs dangling, guts just all over the place. in the film, the killings are done in a more realistic approach, albeit very stylized. in the film, a kill is a bloody kill, but in the manga, a kill is a graphic orgy of death. ok, maybe the "graphic orgy of death" is stretching it, but the kills are messier and bloodier.

animefringe has a nicely written article about the novel, first movie (a bit on the sequel), and the manga with a few scans. the scans they show are nothing compared to the more gruesome deaths.

http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/2003/02/feature/01/

Picked up volume one and two today... good stuff thus far.

8. Because I've been reading it too and for me, it seems it deviates pretty far from the movie.
    The movie basically took the major points and then rewrote everything else. The biggest changes are the teacher and Kiriyama, neither of whom are remotely like their original characters. To be fair the manga did change the teacher a bit (turning him into more of a pervert), but it stuck much closer with his novel persona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Victor
    i don't recall the novel calling the BR Act "the Program", but it's been a while since i last read the novel so...
    The novel makes no mention of the name "BR Act" (that was made up for the movie because it sounds better then "Battle Experiment Number 68 Program" or whatever it was) and definately uses the title The Program.

The thing I love about the manga is that it offers an extra view to the novel. When you read the novel it focuses primarily on the current time frame and what the students are experiencing. The manga focuses on the violence and the backstory, often giving a lot of background to the characters and their reasoning that wasn't in the novel (the whole flashback with the girls on the hilltop and megaphone, for instance). Reading each alone is perfectly fine, but reading both makes it feel more complete.
    I just finished reading the novel. How does the manga compare to the novel?
    You finished? Yay! As to your question, read my previous paragraph.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    The thing I love about the manga is that it offers an extra view to the novel. When you read the novel it focuses primarily on the current time frame and what the students are experiencing. The manga focuses on the violence and the backstory, often giving a lot of background to the characters and their reasoning that wasn't in the novel (the whole flashback with the girls on the hilltop and megaphone, for instance). Reading each alone is perfectly fine, but reading both makes it feel more complete.
    Sounds very interesting. I've just been reading the link that Ashen posted and it gives a good indication of how the book, film, manga all relate to each other. I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy the manga now. My interest has been piqued.

You finished? Yay!
    Yes! It was very hard to put down! Now we can discuss!

10. I just finished reading the first two volumes and I love it. The naration on the first two chapters of volume 2 was well written and powerfully moving. So far I'm enjoying the deeper depiction of each characters relationship with one annother as it compliments the situation well and makes it all the more tragic to see them kill each other. I'm also feeling more comfortable Kazou (spell check) as I didn't like the way he was depicted in the film. All in all it's the best read I've had in awhile.