Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yu Suzuki Leaves Sega-AM2

1. Technically feasible maybe (neither of us have ever touched a GC development kit so don't be so sure) but not financially viable.

Either way this isn't clear cut and would no way regard this as a mistake on Sega's part. Besides until I see a statement from Sega/MS confirming the exact deal I maintain that Sega can't be criticised for this.

2. JSRF would have to be reprogrammed from the ground up to run on GC, which wouldn't be worth the cost for a series that has proven itself to be a money pit. Hard to justify spending such money on a game which people refuse to play even when they got it for free.

Smilebit has given up on the series officially and I don't see them going back to it, even for a port. Maybe some third party like the way Shenmue 2 was handled, but I have a feeling that would only end up as a mess.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. Re: JSRF

Sega's big mistake was putting the game on Xbox in the first place. They should have designed it for PS2 or GC. It was a bad match for the system and it's userbase, but it can be forgiven since no-one really knew what the userbase would be like when they started on it.

Then again, JSRF was originally JSR2 on Dreamcast, no? I was heartbroken when they quietly cancelled that after insisting it was coming.

I wonder if it would have sold better if it was Dreamcast's last big title?

4. Yeah but, Microsoft had close ties to sega from the dc's "compatible with WinCe" thing. It's all about relationships I bet. It's like rare shortchanging nintendo while still developing games for the system and harming themselves because they still relied on them. (nintendo were all too eager to announce how little affect the loss of rare had to them when they finally left) Sega needed security, and MS had the cash. Desperation + need for cash = partnership.

Sony killed dc (so why help an enemy?), nintendo killed megadrive(so why partner with conservative, strict partner whos main aim is japan and not american audiences?). So then MS was it's pimp for that period right?

Makes sense to me. MS needed an edgy new franchise, sega needed to bring out thier DC games for a new system,(died naturally) and ms was there at the right time.