Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Technos

1. Quote Originally Posted by Shapermc
    Who is releasing River City Ransom GBA then?
    Atlus is. although it seems that Million is developing it, and from what i understand, it's pretty much just the old team

Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    I think I remember the intro to Double Dragon II. Doesn't the end boss gun down your girlfriend with his machine gun? That is a little harsh.
    oh yeah, that was good shit. only time i've seen a girlfriend get shot down better than that was Rambo's girlfriend in Rambo II.

2. Another beautiful thread, Neo. Well worth the time it took to load the page (as always).

Technos rocks. I've always loved the unique SD characters in their Nekketsu games. The SuperCD version of Kunio's Soccer for PC-Engine is really cheap to acquire. I bet it looks leagues better than the flickering mess that was/is the Famicom version.

Quick question... I have a crappy NES beat-em-up called "Target Renegade". Was this a Technos title as well?

Target Renegade isn't a Technos game. Taito released it as a Renegade sequel. Imagine did the computer versions.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Barton
    don't worry about it, im pretty much expecting it to just be you typical Technos sports game, but basketball.

im sure Johnny Undaunted can give me some info on it.
    It's a really fun adaption of B-ball and has Godai in it (my favorite Nekketsu character). It's pretty much what you expect from a typical Nekketsu sports (weird-ass special moves, power-ups, ect.). The game is played in a 2-on-2 format and each stage has three baskets on each side. Since it was a late release though, finding a copy (even a loose one) can cost quite a bundle.

A mild nitpick:
    Big Pro Wrestling was Technos' first game, not Minky Monkey. They also made two other games before they made Renegade. Dog Fight, which seems to be a cartoony Skykid-clone and Battle Lane Vol. 5, which plays like Spy Hunter with a bike. They also made a game about giant monsters who's name escape me right now.

I have a crappy NES beat-em-up called "Target Renegade". Was this a Technos title as well?
    No, it was an American-made sequel to Renegade by Taito. It was actually port of a computer game.

As far Technos Japan's Game Boy library is concerned, they made around nine titles or so.

Double Dragon - While still one-player only, it's superior to the NES version just for dropping the EXP-point system.

Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun: Bangai Rantou Hen - A rather simple beat-em-up starring Kunio and Riki. It became the GB version of Double Dragon II in the west with a plot that was clearly ripped off from the Warriors.

Nekketsu Koukou Soccer Bu: World Cup Hen - Nintendo World Cup for the Game Boy.

Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu: Kyouteki! Dodge Soldier no Maki - Really crappy version of Super Dodge Ball with lots of flickering. Don't bother.

Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Dokodemo Daiundoukai - Portable version of the NES game with new events (such as a bread-eating contest).

Bikkuri Nekketsu Shinkiroku: Dokodemo Kin Medal - Straight port of the NES game (Street Challenge), but the swimming event replaced by a skydiving one. You can also play as Team Oklahoma/Thornley through a secret code.

Kunio-kun no Jidaigekidayo - Port of the NES game.

Taiyou no Tenshi Marlow - I played this a long time ago, but don't remember much. From what I remember, the gameplay is just like Qix but with an angel.

Nekketsu Beach Volley: Pretty much a GB version of V'Ball, but with Kunio and Riki. You can also play as Satomi (the Nekketsu cheerleader) and her pal Hiroko.

Screenshots to come later.

Considering Minky Monkey predates Big Pro Wrestling by two years, how can you say it isn't their first game?

And Target Renegade developer Imagine Software is British not American.

6. I rechecked everything and it seems Big Pro Wrestling came out in '83, not '84. But you know what? I was so sure that Big Pro came out first since I've always seen it regarded as Technos Japan's first game, but Minky Monkey has an earlier copyright date. Unless of course, they made Minkey, but published it later. I'm not sure other than you're probably right.

Whether Target Renegade was American or European, it still sucked.

7. Mat Mania... What a freakin' great game.

8. Quickly.

Technos owns in a real and very powerful way.

Mat-Mania...WOOO!
    RCR...WOOOOOO!
    Super Dodge Ball is the only true religion (I used to own the domain Super Dodgeball.com)

If I'm not mistaken, Technos also did Super Spike V-Ball on the NES. A port of Championship V-Ball perhaps.

I also own a mint copy of Super Dodge Ball for the Neo•Geo. It cost me quite a bit, but it was worth every penny.

9. I'm a big Technos fan.

Technos Japan Corp. provided more happy moments during my childhood than any other developer. If there were some way to account for every quarter I ever slipped into a WWF Superstars cabinet, my estimate is that you'd wind up with at least $500. Double Dragon was one of the NES games I rented over and over and over again--to this day I have not one-credited it. The arcade version has eluded me most of my life. The one time I played it extensively was at the home of a friend whose father owned an arcade. He made me play on the fucked-up 2P stick, then proceeded to destroy me and take Mariam for himself.

Funaki Masakatsu: Hybrid Wrestler on the SFC is the only console Technos wrestling game, and its not very good.

Famicom copies of Ganbare Dunk Heroes and IkeIke! Nekketsu Hockey are my most wanted games in the universe. If you have them, I will pay a very fair price.

-Tech

10. How much do the Nekketsu sports games on Famicom go for?

Maybe I ought to pick up a Famicom one of these days. Between the Nekketsu games and Don Doko Don 2 alone, it might be worth it.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood