Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5789

Thread: "Backwards" Manga

1. Quote Originally Posted by negitoro
    Hell, it could be argued it's MORE enjoyable sometime...

Like watching the World Cup... choosing between those lame asses on ABC or....

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL!!!"

Telemundo it is.
    I totally agree on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

2. Ah, the great Hockey announcers...

"HOLY MACKINAW!!!!!!!!"

3. Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Dolemite, I said this earlier, but I'll repeat it here
    Ah, sorry, I must have missed that when you posted it earlier. Still, wouldn't that prevent subs from being 100% accruate translations as well? It seems that you lose out in some way no matter which you choose, dub or sub.

As far as Spanish programming goes (like soccer), who cares what they're saying? More important than understanding them is that I find that you cannot click past any Spanish TV station without seeing a hot chick on the screen. No matter what's on, they will have a hot chick, guaranteed. Go ahead, try it.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Quote Originally Posted by negitoro
    Hell, it could be argued it's MORE enjoyable sometime...

Like watching the World Cup... choosing between those lame asses on ABC or....

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL!!!"

Telemundo it is.
    I guess I'm lucky, I can enjoy watching sports without sound.

5. This is what I find wrong about subtitles, if anything;

unless it's an action sequence or one of those drawn out silences, I can't appreciate what's going on screen because I'm too busy trying to read AND watch. So like in Read or Die, when I saw the fansub, I really enjoyed it - so much so I bought it on DVD. The voices are TERRIBLE when comparing the 'matchup' with voices and character traits that 'doshi talked about, but boy...I saw things, little nuances, in the show I would've missed had I been trying to read and watch.

Then again, wanting to learn and know more about illustration and animation, it's my own thing to dig deep into the visuals of a show, trying to ferret out cool distinct animations, over the top action sequences, and slight facial expressions and changes.

If I can only do two things at once, I'd rather watch and dissect a show than watch and read. As long as the voices aren't over-the-top in B-movie goodness... ^^U

But heck, there's no wrong way to watch an anime. As far as foreign movies go...Well, I know from fact that a lot of US movies are snet to other countries and just subtitled from the get-go. So isn't it a bonus that most foreign films hit the US market with subtitles AND dubs, so anyone can watch it in the way that matches their tolerance level? I know I wouldn't look down on someone for watching a dub, because in the end they're getting a chance to enjoy a good movie in a way that makes it enjoyable to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    So like in Read or Die, when I saw the fansub, I really enjoyed it - so much so I bought it on DVD.
    Yeah, Read or Die was very good. I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't think the dub was so bad, though, but that's a matter of opinion. I did have a problem with the subtitles on the DVD, however. Spoken dialogue was subtitled normally with either white or yellow text (I forget which), but whenever something written in Japanese appeared onscreen (like a sign or a note), they made the bizarre decision to make those subtitles BLACK, even if the sign or whatever was on a dark background, thus making those subtitles very difficult to read. I have no idea what was going through their minds when they made the decision to do this.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. Still, wouldn't that prevent subs from being 100% accruate translations as well? It seems that you lose out in some way no matter which you choose, dub or sub.
    Yeah, thats why I brought it up originally. Something is lost either way. =\

unless it's an action sequence or one of those drawn out silences, I can't appreciate what's going on screen because I'm too busy trying to read AND watch.
    I've never had this problem. But I know thta when I watch with some people they often have me rewind scenes because they were busy following the text.

On a side note. . . watching a show in a foreign language that you can't understand without subtitles is retarted.
    also, there's this Korean show. They put five people in a room and they have to sing a song or act out a play. Everytime time they screw up a line, a wooden plank or metal bucket falls on their head. They screw up often.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Think about how an average person with just a passing interest in manga might look at it now. He or she will see "backwards" books and probably be like, WTF?!?
    If they have a passing interest, hopefully they would actually open the manga. Shounen Jump and all of Tokyopop's "backwards" stuff (everything I've read, anyway) all have at least one introduction page that explains the reading format book in the back (our front) and sometimes one in the front as well.

9. I was in a bookstore the other day and curious about the manga they had. They didn't have an enormous selection but from what I saw a majority of them were printed "backwards", put on the shelf "backwards" (for the most part), and they all had a page explaining how to read it properly. I imagine the average reader can figure it out. They might even get a kick out of it.

10. Game Boy Advance

Icepop, you also could have mentioned that all of the French language manga was "backwards" was well - tho there was not much of that either.