Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaked Quake 4 models...

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Furious
    I can safely say they "AREN'T". Those models are way too detailed and high poly. There are a ton of wasted polys defining such detail that curved surfaces are silky smooth with no hint of a poly edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I realize there's no way anything like that will be playable for at least another 2-3 years.
    don't want to bother saying anything else aside from...play the Doom 3 Alpha, and the both of you are wrong. and if you get your hands on the Alpha, keep reminding yourself that it's just an alpha.

2. No Quake 4 beta for me, due to not knowing of it's existence. Did you mean the Doom 3 pre-build?

Serious Sam 2 isn't Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. Yes, I know it's confusing.

James

3. Quote Originally Posted by James
    No Quake 4 beta for me, due to not knowing of it's existence. Did you mean the Doom 3 pre-build?
    *smacks forehead* Yeah, I should've made that more obvious. Even though you were talking about a different game... I blame it on my lack of sleep for my own confusion.
    Serious Sam 2 isn't Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. Yes, I know it's confusing.
    Yepyep, First and Second were supposed to be the same game and are really just two parts of a whole. Whenever the actual part 2 comes out it should be a beautiful bloodbath.

4. Part of what makes me sure those aren't game models is the smoothness of them. The Hover Tank for one isn't just 'smooth', it's smoooooth.

To the point where I'd make a small wager (say $5) that that model isn't even polygons. It's probably NURBS. There's some sharp edges that make me doubt that too (like the bolt on his arm cannon, the texture of that is a little blockier then you'd see in a NURB model). If it's not NURBS is polygons subdivided half to death.

Remember that they can perform a great deal of magic in programing, every day games have higher poly counts and run fast. But just rendering that model alone will take a good amount of time and processor power. Let alone 2 or 3 of them at once, animated, and a bsp map, and lighting, texturing, bump mapping, audio, AI... just trust me. Those aren't W models.

Even the Doom3 models don't approach the level of complexity. It may look like it in the game because of texturing and bump mapping (which is supposed to create the illusion of geometry), but they aren't. They can't be. No computer could run it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Barton
    don't want to bother saying anything else aside from...play the Doom 3 Alpha, and the both of you are wrong. and if you get your hands on the Alpha, keep reminding yourself that it's just an alpha.
    Um, no. Do your research buddy. I've played the alpha and I'm telling you those are not going to be the ingame models. If you've been keeping up with the development of Doom III, you'll know exactly how ID is creating the ingame models because Carmack has described the process himself. The developer creates an ultra-high detailed model and then creates renders. Those renders are used to create textures that are then slapped onto lower poly models. It looks really impressive in motion but if you look closely you'll see a ton of tricks being pulled off that give the illusion that the model is highly detailed.

So you're wrong.

6. The only problem is this keeps people with lower-end PCs out of having a chance to play. Unless they're planning on storing models for high, mid, and low poly-counts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

7. Very nice! I'm betting they're just cgi models because of the high detail, but they should look close to that thanks to the Doom engine.

Oh yeah, back with the stroggs means we're getting a "REAL" quake sequel. Yippy!!!
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"