Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "If you don't like it, don't play it"

1. "If you don't like it, don't play it"

It seems like in a lot of these threads where people are trying to have a good debate over the pros and cons of a game/genre, or how to improve it, you always have to these people who have to jump in and say "if you don't like the blah blah blah, then don't play it."

I just find that kind of attitude very irritating. As gaming fans, isn't it our duty, our obligation, to critique what we like or don't like in games, in hopes that they can be improved? So how does this attitude of "don't like it, don't play it" serve any purpose? So it's better to just be blind ignorant consumers that simply swallow anything that is thrown at us?
    Right, because if anything validates the existance of a handheld piece of shit, it's taking those shitty handheld games and placing them on a screen big enough so that the inherent flaws of the software is visible to all humans. Including Ray Charles.

2. You have to play it to know you don't like it, thus making that statement moot.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

3. *puts on psychologist's hat*

It's when people associate themselves with the game they are defending, equating the game with themselves, especially the success or merits of the game. Very similar to console debates. I don't remember the last time people got in an argument over which mop company sells the most mops, but then I realize it's because the maturity level isn't too high.

4. Quote Originally Posted by BoBVila
    I don't remember the last time people got in an argument over which mop company sells the most mops, but then I realize it's because the maturity level isn't too high.
    What the fuck are you talking about?

5. But I mean, aren't we all armchair-wannabe-game designers here? That's why we discuss and analyze these games to death. These people who just say "this is the way it is so shut the f*ck up" are missing the point.
    Right, because if anything validates the existance of a handheld piece of shit, it's taking those shitty handheld games and placing them on a screen big enough so that the inherent flaws of the software is visible to all humans. Including Ray Charles.

6. ...whatever.

I think it's OK to complain and generally make your thoughts known about something you don't like.

If nobody did that...life would be boring.

7. I agree 100% with that.

8. It's only bad when people purosefully go out of their way to rag on something when it becomes a problem; much like me and the xbox. I'll go out of my way to call it a pile of garbage.

9. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

See how ridiculous what I said sounded? That's the point. "If you don't like it, don't play it" isn't a veyr mature thing to say. It just so happens to occur all the time when video games are discussed, and the only reason I can think of is because a large amount of gamers are imbeciles.

Unless, of course, a person keeps saying "so and so is garbage" without giving any reason for it, then it seems like a worthy response. That isn't constructive criticism.

10. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    It's only bad when people purosefully go out of their way to rag on something when it becomes a problem; much like me and the xbox. I'll go out of my way to call it a pile of garbage.
    Sort of like intelligent people and Skies of Arcadia. *rimshot*

Quote Originally Posted by BoBVila
    It just so happens to occur all the time when video games are discussed, and the only reason I can think of is because a large amount of gamers are imbeciles.
    Yeah, some of them can't even learn to use a simple quote feature!