Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's talk about your art supplies...

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Any good art store should have it. Just ask for the protective spray for pencil work.

I don't know if it would work well on white paper, but bristal and illustration board works out fine.
    It depends on the brand. I've had fixative give this one brand of paper I was using at the time a slightly yellowish tinge. Every other brand, though, has been fine. You can't detect it at all. Test it out first.

Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    One Piece Mansion case- This is my ruler. Sometimes I use Bangaio. Always those two games, I have no idea why.
    That's hilarious. Isn't that a pain in the ass to do, though, if you need to make a line longer than the case? And don't the little corrigated edges mess up your lines if you accidentally use the wrong edge?

BTW, how is One Piece Mansion?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Oh, and that "Protective Spray" everybody's going on about: It's called Spray Fixitive, and it's available in aerosol and spray-bottle liquid forms.

There's two main types: Workable Fix and Final Fix. Workable puts a tooth down on the paper and let's you continue drawing on top of whatever you're working on; great for pastel work and charcoal. Final Fix is what you want when you know you're not gonna work on the piece any more.

And yes, clear Aquanet hairspray works just as well as the latter most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Aside from the PC with Photoshop, painter, 3dSmx 5, and Studio MX, I mostly do drawing.

I use Mars Lumograph pencils by staedtler 4h and B leads. A boston battery operated portable automatic pencil sharpener to eat away at my expensive pencils. I'm heavy handed so I avoid mechanical pencils like the dark lord satan who manufactures them.

In the rare event I do hand inking or coloring I use Prismacolor pencils, watercolor pencils, and markers. For Inking I use Koh I noor rapidograph pens and inks, (including colored ones for animation cell painting) and traditional nibs and brushes. I have a lot of sumi brushes and sets, and they add a unique inkwash look like Tim Sale's work (if you're familiar with the artist.) Comico markers also rule if you got the dough.

4. That's hilarious. Isn't that a pain in the ass to do, though, if you need to make a line longer than the case? And don't the little corrigated edges mess up your lines if you accidentally use the wrong edge?

BTW, how is One Piece Mansion?

Yes, it is a pain in the ass when something calls for longer lines.

However, most of my art supply choices are based on the idea that I constantly lose/destroy them so I've just stopped bothering with buying replacements.

I never use the corrugated edges though. I must be lucky.

And One Piece Mansion is great fun, but you can complete it in a few hours and there's only one free play mode for you after that's done. =\

5. Unfortunately when I moved out I left a good deal of my art supplies at my parents. I only have a limited supply of stuff here.

Paper: Not terriblly picky ... just need something thickish and with a little texture. Do a lot of doodles and stuff in standard cartidge style sketch pads. Use canvas for bigger pieces and collages.

Pencils: Not especially picky about pencils I'll use whatever's lying about. Usually not a mechanical though because I only have 0.05 ones around and they're a bit too fine for me.

Coloured Pencils: At the moment I have mostly water colour pencils. I am a fan of Caran D'Ache. The ones I have here are a small set of water Faber Castell pencils. Also have a small set of Derwent pastel pencils (I use Krylon fixatif spray when I use these) and a small set of Caran D'Ache water-soluble crayons (a lot of fun)

Pens / Markers: One day I'll buy myself a nice set of real inking pens. I've wanted a set for so long. For the meantime though, I've given up on buying expensive pens. I like to do a lot of inking over paint and I've ruined so many pens / markers, etc. I find that a a black sharpie will usually do the trick. I love microns but I go through them fast. I have some cool Prismacolour double ended markers. I love those.

Paints: I have water colours and acrylic mostly. I have a bunch of different watercolour brands ... usually cheaper brands. Most of the acrylic stuff I have is Liquatex. I have some called Pebeo that I picked up recently.

Brushes: Totally not picky since I am also pretty brutal on brushes. My Mum who's an artist can spend so much money on new brushes and I'm content with dollar store craft brushes most of the time.

Other: I do a lot of mixed media / collage type stuff so I'd be nowhere without my bottle of matte gloss medium / varnish. That stuff is fantastic. I've done some pretty fun stuff with that. I have also ruined a few brushes with it too.