Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about your art supplies...

1. Let's talk about your art supplies...

As far as mechanical pencils go, I swear by Sanford (I just wish they would sell replacements for those little erasers that go in the butt of the pencil- I hate having to steal them from the pencils at the art store). Also, I have a set of Prismacolor colored pencils by Sanford that's amazing (120 colors). Unlike many, many other brands of colored pencils I've tried in the past, they don't break when you sharpen them. I also have a set of Sanford watercolor pencils as well. They make some fine double-ended art markers too. http://www.sanford.com/

However, as far as markers go, Copic (a Japanese art company) makes some great stuff also. Of special note are their multiliner markers- ultra-fine point markers that are perfect for inking pencils. The lines don't spread at all when you're drawing with them- they stay perfectly straight and smooth. I can't go on enough about how much I love these markers. I hate inking and couldn't imangine using a rapidiograph or a pen and inkwell. That must be a nightmare. The multiliners make inking a breeze. Check out Copic's website at http://www.copicmarker.com/. They have an interesting airbrush on their site that works on cans of compressed air as opposed to an expensive and cumbersome compressor (though they sell those as well) that I'm interesting in checking out. It even uses a markers for the ink source. Very cool.

As far as paints go, I don't care. I'm not experienced enough with them to have a preferance.

For paper, I don't have a favorite brand, but I usually like the stock to be a tad on the thick side (90 lb.), with a slightly rough texture to it- but not TOO rough. I usually draw on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, sometimes 11 x 17.

Lead for my pencils? I favor .05 lead, and I usually use HB or sometimes 2H to avoid smearing. I've tried .03 lead pencils, but I find that the lead constantly breaks and the pencils constantly jam no matter what brand I use. It's a pain in the ass and not worth using.

I like white india ink best for correction (it blends well).

I have a drafting brush for getting rid of those pesky eraser shavings on my paper after excessive erasing.

I have some stencils for things like circles and ovals and letters.

I like Sanford Tuff Stuff erasers.

Loew-Cornell makes some nice presion brushes with sharp points for detail work.

I have some different size roller rulers, but I don't use them much. I also have the usual assortment of normal rulers, t-squares, triangles, etc.

I use workable fixative on my pencil drawings to protect them from smearing.

Blow Pens- yes, it's a kid's art toy- a marker that you can blow into, making the ink fan out the other end and onto the paper. But I find that they can create AWESOME splatter and other special effects. They're really cool.

How about you?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Paper- Deleter comic paper for illustrations( I don't like thick bristol boards). 80 lb sketch book paper for my comic since that's what I started it with, and it picks up the ink differently, so the look of the ink washes would change too much if I switched. Water colors, I used 300 lb large paper. I don't know the difference between the "warm" and "cold" types so I switch off when I purchase them.

.5 mechanical pencil. I don't remember the type, and I don't tend to care as I lose them monthly.

60 cent cheap brushes for ink washing and some deleter indian ink, white and black. I have a mess of the brushes and just throw them out after they wig out, which happens quickly.

Some nibs for inking, though I've long forgotten the type.

One Piece Mansion case- This is my ruler. Sometimes I use Bangaio. Always those two games, I have no idea why.

I also use one large thick eraser and one of those smaller eraser pens.

3. First off, let me say - post yo' stuff fool! (all of you, actually - seems there are a lot more artists on this board than most are willing to admit or share).

But I digress. To briefly run through my materials. I have a .03 mechanical pencil (my primary drawing tool which gives me those fine lines, and .05 (grey and blue types respectively - but hardly used).

I used Staedtler white eraser (medium sized), in addition to one or two templates/triangles somewhere around my house (haven't used them in ages - the templates that is).

I primarily draw in Latchet 11x17 sketchbooks, but I'll be ordering a new batch of bristol pads as well for future projects.

My technical pen collection consists of assorted Koh-i-noor types which vary in line widths (I mainly use 6.0 x 18 and 4.0 x 18, but lately I've been forced to use the latter because my 6.0 is feeding the ink correctly even after I've cleaned it)

For inking, I use the Koh-i-noor india ink brand. I also have a drafting brush which has come in handy instead of using my hand to wipe away eraser residue and helps to alleviate a clutter of oil on the paper.

I need to get a new set of markers. Copic looks great, albeit expensive. I remember back in NY seeing a cool set sold by Pearl. I'd be interested in finding other reputable brands.

4. Pencils -- I switched to using drafting pencils awhile ago... 2 Staedler pencils one with non-photo blue leads and the other with 2H pencils leads. I find I like it a lot more than drawing purely with a mechanical pencil. But when I need a mechanical pencil, I use this old Zebra pencil I've been using since middle school

Pens - Pilot Precise Extra Fine Rolling Ball for the standard lines, an assortment of Microns for extra fine lines. I also REALLY love using Copic Multiliner brush pens... gives the ink that brush quality and line variation. Other than that I like my 0.5 and 0.8 Uni Ball Vision Elites and my V Pilot fountain-type pen.

Markers - small set of cool gray Prisamcolors and some standard crappy fine tipped Sharpies. I do most colored work on the computer anyway. I'd love some Copics, but they're to rich for my blood... especially if I got all the stuffI wanted (air brush attachment, all the colors etc)

Paper - Nothing beats drawing on Bristol board for me. Although I don't do it very often because it's expensive, as paper goes. Typically, smooth white recycled 80 lb sketch books is just fine.

The other stuff, frankly isn't all that important. Erasers, whiteout, rulers, french curves etc. Just a small collection of everything.

5. These saved my architectural ass more than a few times:

Swear by them.

6. Pencils - Whatever I want. Wooden a must. (nothing like killing the rainforest)

Recycled paper - I just like the texture. Plus, it makes me feel better about the wooden pencils.

Markers - Prisma colour is pretty much the level, so I use them. I have like 50 colours, some doubles.

That's it. I have some of that spray on gunk to protect some pencil work, but I lost it.

I have masking tape, black tape, a ruler, a compass, an exacto knife, matt knife, matt, illustration board, paint (Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green)

I also have a makeshift lighttable I made from an old food crate, the opening door to my TV stand and a hanging florescant light. Works like a charm.... a very cheap charm.

I always lose my erasers. I just go to the local art college and steal them from students.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. yeah. where can you get that "spray on gunk", anyone have the official name for it? fury?

8. Pens - any type of gel kind....to keep bleeding down.
    Markers -Prismacolor
    Paper - anything I can find
    To understand man, walk it shoe on other foots.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bahn
    yeah. where can you get that "spray on gunk", anyone have the official name for it? fury?
    What spray on gunk? You mean sealant? -so the image doesn't smear once you're done with it? Just about any art store. You can use hairspray too, if it's an emergency.

Brush - Cheapest I can find.
    Paint - "Basic"... thats what it says on the tube.
    Canvas - I buy the cheap stuff.
    Stencil - Both capital, and lowercase letters OMG! Purchased at dollar store.

I find that there is no point to buying the "good stuff" since the way I do things looks like shit anyway. Pieces of brush stuck in the paint just gives it, um... charm.