Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL... Going nowhere?

1. TNL... Going nowhere?

You know it's very difficult for me to write this because this website was a part of my life for over three years. I joined TNL in 1999 and completely left it around the summer of 2002. The crew back then had a lot of fun and we were really motivated in getting our material posted onto this site. Every game that was reviewed, every editorial that we wrote, and every quick newspost that we dedicated a lot of time to was done for the success for this site.

Honestly, I'm not really sure how the crew felt back then but I know a lot of us put a lot of heart into this site such as people like Hero, Reno, and Bahn especially. We had really big plans for TNL and each and every one of us wanted to make the website blow Gamespot or IGN out of the water. However, somewhere in the middle of all of that, something changed and its really hard to pinpoint. Perhaps it was a month or two after E3 2001 that things began to fell apart. Out of like the 10 people or so that went to E3 that year under the TNL name, only three people put any effort into covering what was at the show and we didn't hear squat from the rest of the people went. I was pissed off as hell, because I felt that it was the perfect opportunity for the entire team to get some major exposure and a lot of people failed to take advantage of that. That's right, the few of us were stiffed with maintaining the site while we haven't heard anything, but excuses from the rest of the staff which caused a great deal of frustration. After being burned out from things happening in my personal life and dedicating a lot of time to TNL, I started to disappear as well and told myself "fuck this." After that I haven't even said a word to Bahn about my lack of involvement from the site except that it was best that I leave the team for awhile. I still left some feedback here and there and wrote a few articles once in awhile and that was about it.

I guess when the GameGo! forums died, TNL decided to take advantage of that to boost the popularity by merging the two forums. In fact, the whole damn site was just dedicated to the forums and a lot of TNL's focus was lost for a long period of time, too much actually. I was getting really sick about hearing about the concerns about the forums and how many hits we were getting there, blah blah blah. Isn't this a videogame website too or have you all forgotten? After seeing the direction this website was heading, I decided to leave the team completely and concentrate on other things. I didn't feel that TNL was worth being a part of my life even after years of dedication, I did not want to be a part of it.

I still check out this site on occasion and I have yet to see any positive changes. I know that Nick is workig hard keeping this site together, but TNL is struggling to keep up with the other websites that are out there. Reviews are showing up at a slow rate, news is posted late, and I don't really notice any good editorials around here. As I mentioned before, we all had big plans for TNL back then and none of them seem to be apparent enough even to this day. Our goals back then were to have a mass amount of good quality reviews, post of the latest news, and do a lot of thinking out of the box to make TNL really stand out. Currently, I fail to see that right now except for a lot of forum posters commenting on the news that gets put up.

Perhaps a lot of us changed in the past few years. Maybe this site wasn't meant to be that big and perhaps everyone feels more comfortable having it has a forum based site. You know, using TNL as a front for the forums and what not. Its really hard to say because I have no clue to what has happened, what is happing, and what will happen with this site. Anyway, it was nice writing here again. See you all on the other side.
    Macbook Pro 15" Unibody | Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
    Sprint Touch Pro 2 | iPhone 3GS 32GB | iPad 32GB

visit louie tran spot! a blog for geeks by a geek

2. Here's a thought:

Maybe the mods have lives or, god forbid, jobs that actually pay them so they choose to spend more time with those exploits rather than live on the forums.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ShineAqua
    Here's a thought:

Maybe the mods have lives or, god forbid, jobs that actually pay them so they choose to spend more time with those exploits rather than live on the forums.
    What the hell are you talking about? You haven't even read a single word I wrote haven't you? I said that TNL was spending too much time on the forums rather than on the actual site. Go earn your forum points =)
    Macbook Pro 15" Unibody | Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
    Sprint Touch Pro 2 | iPhone 3GS 32GB | iPad 32GB

visit louie tran spot! a blog for geeks by a geek

4. Well, with the focus shifting from the core site to the boards, for the users, it could just be them going to what they find to be the best thing about TNL. For the mods/admins, well, I'm not too sure. It could be any number of things, like maybe sticking to what TNL is best known for, which, right now, is the boards.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Quote Originally Posted by raziel
    TNL was spending too much time on the forums rather than on the actual site.
    I actually have to defer to Jeremy on this one. This forum is one of the best around and that's pretty much why there's more focus on that aspect of it. The site itself is unnecessary since the forums usually scoop the mods and admins anyhow. That and again these people aren't being paid for this, for them it's a labor of love, which pretty much means their participation in anything that has to do with this site is hinges on how much free time they have. As for the E3 thing, yeah that'd piss me off a bit but take a kid to a toy store and tell him he has to work and see what he does.

6. It's just like GA.

Good forum, but the main site doesn't hold much interest for me.

I don't feel slighted or upset because of that.

7. i'd sure as hell be posting a crap load more news if it wasn't summer time. sorta dead right now. i also plan to do review quite often, but that's gonna be a bit down the line.

i plan to contribute a lot to this site.

8. my wallet is empty, so that kinda limits what to review. I've had a few ideas on non-game-review type work, but I can't say much at the moment.

But yeah, it seems the big draw here is the forum. I remember a few months ago when I did have a few games to review, people were like 'TNL does reviews! HAW HAW!'

You know, it's one thing not to know or not care, but another to be outright insult. Doesn't give much motivation to keep trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

9. Hero, the key to reviewing with a thin wallet is to find something that is within your means that can be reviewed. Take VF 4: Evo for example, here's a game coming out brand-new for $20. The $10 puzzle game Mojo could be another game to review.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. The forums are where it's at, besides we live in our own little world...

I'm not too worried about the reviews coming in late, first come, first fuckup I say. At least we can trust our guys better then the ones getting paid.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"