Thread: Shirow's coloring stages

1. Shirow's coloring stages

I thought this might be of some interest to some. Shirow's digital skillz have greatly improved these few years and it's a shame not many get to see his colored works.

I'll post more later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019B.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	3451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019C.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	3452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019D.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	3453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019E.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	3454  

2. Later..... That's all for now. Enjoy .

Name:	019F.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	3457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019G.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	3458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019H.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	3459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019I.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	3460  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020_2141.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	3461  

3. Wow, that's pretty interesting. Is this from a site where he describes what he's doing for each step? I'd like to know how he's applying some of those textures. It's a really nice example of the possibilities with photoshop for this kind of illustration.

Ironically, I don't really think it's a very successful image, at the end. It's like, look at any element individually and it looks great, but the overall image is very flat, and the lighting is too undefined. I'm not a big fan of the 3D generated background meshing with the illustration...but the big issue is overall composition.

Still, a great look at the steps taken...since he just paints his pencils, I wonder how he goes about doing it? I typically adjust them until their as crisp as inks, so I can use the fill too and what not to get things started, but then you lose the quality of the pencil lines...

4. i agree with fury. the last pic washed out a lot of the details which made the lineart so cool in the first place.

5. Nah, he didn't say what he was about in that download. He should've though, but then again, it'd probably be in Japanese. There're some short notes, however.

I was surprised myself to learn that he just colors his pencils. Ah, but the original pics are over 1700 pixels big -dunno if that's the size he uses for his other pics- so I guess it's possible.

Here's another example. More on his pencilling. I think he traces over his pencils. I've read some tutorials about it. And what's that he used in the initial coloring? Color markers or color pencils?

Name:	107A.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	3474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107B.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	3475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107C.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	3476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107E.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	3477  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108_2064.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	3478  

6. that's basically what i do with my stuff - trace over my pencils. it's a much longer process. but generally it allows me to preserve my initial linework.

I have art book for the guy did some of the orginal macross, and gundam work. Shows a step by step way he does the posters in water colors ( I think it was water colors).

8. That birthday gal has some killer eyebrows

I like the watercolor feel to the second once, but I wish the details in all the lace and ties stood out more like they do with the pencils...but that's more my western-comics preference, probably.

Good finds!

9. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    That birthday gal has some killer eyebrows
    I think its called the Jennifer Connelly look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

10. What a find! Good mister!

The sequence is incredibly inspiring, it has given me something to look up to, (naturally there is much of that from present company to do that as well!)
    Only you can stop sig pollution.