Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trivia/Riddles/Lateral Thinking Thread

1. There's no time limit, and you can't see the wiring.
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

2. Quote Originally Posted by SearchManX
    You are in a room with three light switches. In an adjacent room, each of these light switches activates one light bulb in the next room. You can't see which switch turns on which light bulb and you can only go this adjacent room once. If you can flip as many switches as you want, how can you find out which switch activates which bulb?
    I would say by turning on the left switch and leaving it on for a few minutes, then turn it off, then turn on the middle switch and go into the room. The one that is on is the middle switch and the one the is warm is the left switch leaving the last bulb left as the right switch.

3. If they are new light bulbs, flip one of the switches continually for a very long time, or leave one switch on for about two thousand hours (enough to let the bulb burn out).
    Flip another switch, which will make one of the two previously unused light bulbs go on. Enter the room. take out both bulbs that are not on and rattle them. One will obviously sound burned out, or will be discolored, or one can rattle the filament around until the inside coating of the bulb starts to come out. Anyway, now you know which bulb was burned out, and which was only turned off. Meanwhile, the third bulb is already on, so one knows which bulbs go with each switch.
    Your llamas will be calm under most circumstances. Grouse flying up from under the feet will unglue the calmest llama

Post-college, pumpkin-defenestrating, tricycle racing angst. Whoosh.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    I would say by turning on the left switch and leaving it on for a few minutes, then turn it off, then turn on the middle switch and go into the room. The one that is on is the middle switch and the one the is warm is the left switch leaving the last bulb left as the right switch.
    You got it. Your turn.

5. oops, I guess werewolf has me. Nice job!
    Your llamas will be calm under most circumstances. Grouse flying up from under the feet will unglue the calmest llama

Post-college, pumpkin-defenestrating, tricycle racing angst. Whoosh.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dripdry
    If they are new light bulbs, flip one of the switches continually for a very long time, or leave one switch on for about two thousand hours (enough to let the bulb burn out).
    Flip another switch, which will make one of the two previously unused light bulbs go on. Enter the room. take out both bulbs that are not on and rattle them. One will obviously sound burned out, or will be discolored, or one can rattle the filament around until the inside coating of the bulb starts to come out. Anyway, now you know which bulb was burned out, and which was only turned off. Meanwhile, the third bulb is already on, so one knows which bulbs go with each switch.
    If only you posted about 2 seconds earlier. Sorry Werewolf beat you to it. Very creative answer though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by SearchManX
    You got it. Your turn.
    Ok, here's a rather simple one so I don't tie the thread.

There is one in a minute and two in a moment, but only one in a million years.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    Ok, here's a rather simple one so I don't tie the thread.

There is one in a minute and two in a moment, but only one in a million years.
    The letter M.

9. The letter M. har har

10. Quote Originally Posted by SiKrAiKeN
    The letter M.
    Correct, see rather easy one

You're up now