Page 1 of 34 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Otogi: Myth of Demons **Official**

1. Otogi: Myth of Demons **Official**

As there's been a stack of new screens posted on Headlines here, I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread to consolidate the scattered information regarding From Software's upcoming US action-RPG, Otogi: Myth of Demons.

Published in the US by Sega, Otogi deals with an undead samurai named Raiko, who is charged with destroying an army of demons and freeing trapped souls, restoring the balance of Ki to the land. It's set up in a series of missions, each with its own objective (but usually boiling down to "kill everything"). At the end of each mission, you are able to upgrade Raiko's abilities based on your performance, and can purchase additional spells or weapons. You are able to replay missions, with the option of having the destructible backgrounds intact or in the damaged state you left them. In all, there are about 30 weapons, 12 spells, and 29 levels.

Similar to Overworks' PS2 game Shinobi, Raiko's life meter and magic meter are connected. If his magic runs out, it starts eating away his life. Magic is recharged by - you guessed it - killing demons.

Controls are as follows: A is jump, B is a weak attack, Y is a strong attack, and X is magic. The L trigger locks-on a target, and the R trigger lets Raiko dash. Apparently, proficient players can spend most of the missions in mid-air, a la GunValkyrie, helped by combos and dashing that keep you aloft.

It's set in mythical Japan, so the backgrounds include temples, bamboo forests, lakes, and the like. Apparently certain enemies and platforms appear only when the moon is on-screen. The soundtrack consists of traditional Japanese instruments, and is dark and foreboding.

So far, it sounds like a mix of Devil May Cry, Shinobi, GunValkyrie, and Crimson Sea. To me, it sounds like a definite winner.

Here are a couple reviews of the import:

Xen Gamers

NTSC UK

Otogi is set to be released August 26, 2003, and according to EB , it will retail at $40.

If anyone has played the import, please post impressions, but spoiler-free, please.

2. Thank you Bio. The pictures look great, and I'm hoping that it plays as well.

I definately will be there on 26th

3. Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention that I'd heard there might be a playable demo in the next issue of OXM (Sept?), but I've not been able to find anything definite.

4. My interest in this game has gone from 0 to 60, although I may not grab it the day it comes out. Gorgeous visuals, though I'm not sure what to make of it - that NTSC review gives it a 5/10, and the gamerankings thing says an average of 70% which is pretty low.

FunNerdFact - Samurai as we know them didn't exist in Heian Japan!

That NTSC review also says it's based on the story of Yorimitsu, who I've never even heard of. Time to do some digging...
    -Kyo

5. Strider, that review score worried me a little as well. However, one of the main complaints was the camera, which has been improved for the US release. They also call it short & repetitive, which is a bit more of a concern, but that kind of complaint can often be subjective.

6. Its always easier to try it and decide for yourself, then blindly trust the reviews. If you not sure, rent it.

I dont see a problem with it being called repetetive, since its an action game, so what did they really expected? You fight, fight and fight some more. As for camera trouble, I will need to try it for myself. Shinobi camera system gets alot of praise(where I found it almost unplayable , while DMC camera gets panned, but I liked it), so that particular element is highly subjective.

7. Edge gave this game an 8/10. In there game of the year awards it won second for graohics and sound.

I'll be there on the 26th.

8. count me interested...game is launching at $39.99...being that Sega is simply publishing this title, I have a feeling that this is less likely to experience the "Sega Price-drop" after 2 or 3 months...

9. zach meston wrote us a really positive preview of this, which surprsied me as he's got high standards. i haven't played it myself, though. i guess i'm surprsied cos i think from software kind of bites.

i'm looking forward to it, guardedly, now.