Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat Guy J: A Captain Vegetable anime review thread...

1. Heat Guy J: A Captain Vegetable anime review thread...

I think this is my very first anime review, so please bear with me.

Heat Guy J!

I just picked this up on a whim and was, to my extreme pleasure, wonderfully entertained.

Make no doubt about it, Heat Guy J is an action anime. Every episode I've seen so far (that's eps. 1-4) has had some type of blade fight, explosion, car chase, or a variation thereof. It was great.

The first four episodes did a lot of ground work for the series' future. Much of which was centered around introductions and history. Episode 1 doesn't wait a second before throwing you into the thick of things, and the history and introductions are slyly thrown in on the down-low, recognizable enough so you know they're there, but not disruptive in the least. This aspect of the story is extremely well executed.

The story, from as much as I can tell, centers around the city of Judoh, and it's seedy underbelly.

In this city, androids are outlawed. Not that they are disused by any means, they are simply not allowed to access the city (again, for undisclosed reasons)...except one. Heat Guy J! He is the partner of Daisuke Aroura, a member (one of three, including J) of an organization that amounts to a "pre-crime" type division of law enforcement.

And the series precipitates from there. I've not yet seen enough of it to say one way or the other as to the direction it's headed, but I can tell you I like it. A lot. It is voice acted well and the story is really neat.

The producers leaned a bit heavily on the CG lever, but that's never bothered me.

I can't wait to see this series through to completion. If anyone else has any comments, please feel free to post, but make sure all plot devices after episode four are properly taged with "spoiler" tabs.

EDIT: And now watch closely as I demonstrate how to attract, instantly, a fan-base of one to this series: There's a werewolf in it, too.

EDIT x2: I just noticed I horribly mangled the subtitle to this thread. I know I misspelled "wholey." There is no need to bring it to my attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

2. I've seen 3 eps of Heat Guy J when it use to be released on BitTorrent, thought it was a pretty cool. Didn't really like the character design that much, but the action scenes were intense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

3. I really dig the character designs, though I can see where you're coming from. They are kind of plain when compared to others.
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

4. This review convinced me to buy the first DVD, and your impressions convinced me to watch it

5. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    This review convinced me to buy the first DVD, and your impressions convinced me to watch it

And...? What did you think?

6. Damn, this is being released in America already? I tell you, there's so much stuff I've missed out on over the past 6 months I was unemployed.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

7. Cool. Thanks CV for posting the impressions. I was reading latest Play, and they had a small write up about this series, and I cant recall that I heard of it before, but what was said got me interested. I'm always open for a new action Anime, and I hope it stays close to Bebop style(more serious and dramatic and less jokey).

I will try to pick up first disk to see if I like it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    This review convinced me to buy the first DVD, and your impressions convinced me to watch it
    Do you normally not watch the DVDs you buy?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. Quote Originally Posted by Captain Vegetable
    EDIT: And now watch closely as I demonstrate how to attract, instantly, a fan-base of one to this series: There's a werewolf in it, too.
    WHA-WHAT! Someone say something about a werewolf

Seriously though your not pulling my leg are you?...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    Seriously though your not pulling my leg are you?...
    Not at all. His name is Boma, and he's a bad-ass if ever there was one.

He's looking for his sister and is contracted to destroy Heat Guy J. Kicks his ass, too. Then some things happen and they become friends...kind of.