Page 1 of 40 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: "Marriage is between a man and a woman"

1. "Marriage is between a man and a woman"

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush indicated Wednesday he opposes extending marriage rights to homosexuals, saying he believes marriage "is between a man and a woman."

Bush said it is "important for society to welcome each individual," but administration lawyers are looking for some way to legally limit marriage to heterosexuals.

"I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I think we ought to codify that one way or another," Bush told reporters at a White House news conference. "And we've got lawyers looking at the best way to do that."

Earlier this month, Bush said a constitutional amendment to block gay marriages might not be necessary, although the proposal has the support of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee.

The question of gay marriage has moved to the foreground of American politics after a U.S. Supreme Court decision in June that struck down state laws banning sodomy. Canada courts also have recently recognized gay marriages. In addition, the Massachusetts high court is expected to issue a ruling soon on whether the state can allow gay marriages.

The prospect has outraged religious conservatives, an important voting bloc in the Republican Party. And a recent CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll suggest the Supreme Court ruling has prompted a backlash: The number of people who have endorsed the idea that homosexual relations should be legal has dropped from 60 percent to 48 percent since the ruling, and only 40 percent of Americans say they now would support civil unions for homosexuals.

"I think it's very important for our society to respect each individual, to welcome those with good hearts, to be a welcoming country," Bush said Wednesday. "On the other hand, that does not mean that somebody like me needs to compromise on an issue such as marriage."

A number of states have passed laws forbidding gays from marrying or barring the recognition of a same-sex marriage performed in another state. The federal government's 1996 Defense of Marriage Act affirms that states are not required to recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state.

The act also defines marriage as "a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife."
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...age/index.html

Somebody kill this cowboy please.

2. Great, now I'll never get married to the girl I love most~ T_T
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

3. If gay couples get married up here, is it recognized down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki
    Great, now I'll never get married to the girl I love most~ T_T
    Which is whom?

4. It's a secret, because if I tell, President Bush will hunt us both down and make us join the army.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Hey! The army isn't all that bad. I'd join it... or the airforce, rather.

Tell me! Please! Please, pretty please with sugar on top?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki
    It's a secret, because if I tell, President Bush will hunt us both down and make us join the army.
    Visit Canada. You'll be safe....

... and we want to watch.

7. Ugh... this is the kind of crap that will keep me from voting for him in the next election.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Ugh... this is the kind of crap that will keep me from voting for him in the next election.
    either we vote for Bush's re-election, or put Mr. Censorship Joe Lieberman in office.

Time for the next revolution I say.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

9. I say we DO revolt, and I would like to nominate Clinton as the head of our newfound revolution/nation!
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Hooooot! Fuck you. Hooooot!
    Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Pulp or die, motherfuckers. Fresh squeezed or bust.

10. Am I missing something here? So what if homosexuals can't get married? There's many things I can't do, so too bad.