Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Bout Fatal Fury Special gets the official Chibi Nappa "thumbs up"

1. Real Bout Fatal Fury Special gets the official Chibi Nappa "thumbs up"

After some intense play last night, I can safely say this game is beyond terrific. Better than the KOF serries I'd say. If you put I gun to my head I might even say (don't hurt me) that this game is better than MotW. Maybe. If MotW is a 9.0, RBFFS might be a 9.1, but then it's silly arguing 0.1, so it doesn't even matter. I love the look of the sprites. Really bright, vibrant, well defined, and "meaty". They have to be the cartooniest sprites in the Neo Geo fighter library, but they just work so amazingly well in this game. Billy Kane has some sick looking attack animations, I might add. My one graphical gripe? Mai doesn't bounce. Oh well, you can't win em' all.

Controll is silky smooth and I love the "punch, kick, power hit, plane change" controll layout. I was knocking out 6 hit combos with Terry right off the bat. It doesn't have the "liquid" controlls of MotW, but it flows good enough, and I like the character selection better. Blue Mary and Mai are both present, and that's OK with me.

One fun feature that doesn't affect the gameplay but adds to the fun of playing is the sides of the stages. Large breakable objects live there. There's just something fun about repeatedly slamming Tung Fu Ru into a giant fireplace built into the side of a mountain untill the whole thing cracks up shooting flames out of the top. It is very satisfying brutality.

The whole thing is rounded out by an anouncer with the worst lisp you have ever heard saying the gayest things you have ever heard. "Hey, how's it goin' dude", "Be ready or be dead, big guy". You really have to hear it to believe it. Had me chuckling and rolling my eyes at the same time.

2. As a long time GD/FF fan, I've also enjoyed it thoroughly. It's definitely one of the better SNK fighters. Although I'm not so sure about it being "better" than KOF & Garou...

3. I was planning on getting Real Bout 2 but since you say such good things about special I might just get that.

Maybe Mai doesnt bounce cause you have a US Neo Geo?
    "If you aren't a bit depressed, then you aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world - Get busy living or get busy dieing."

4. RB2 pales in comparison to RBFFS, IMO.
    I'd recommend getting RBFFS over RB2 anyday. Unless you absolutely can't live without playing as Xiangfei or Rick Stroud...

5. I've never played RB2, so I can't tell you what to get. I'm planning on getting RB2 based on how much fun I'm having with Special. I have an MVS board. I don't know if it's US or not, but I don't think the MVS censors bounce anyway. She bounces in my KOF. I think it's just how her sprite was drawn this time around.

To all of the Neo users out there: I've heard there are unlockable chararacters in this game. Do the codes to get them work with the MVS bios, or is that limited to only the home bios?

6. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    I've never played RB2, so I can't tell you what to get. I'm planning on getting RB2 based on how much fun I'm having with Special. I have an MVS board. I don't know if it's US or not, but I don't think the MVS censors bounce anyway. She bounces in my KOF. I think it's just how her sprite was drawn this time around.

To all of the Neo users out there: I've heard there are unlockable chararacters in this game. Do the codes to get them work with the MVS bios, or is that limited to only the home bios?
    RB2 isn't as good as Special. Stick with what you got.

RBSpecial is definitely the best of the original Fatal Fury series, but it doesn't compare to Garou, simply cause the two games have VERY different playing styles.

7. I was suprised by RBFFS when I pulled it out last week. I like the control a lot better than FFS, and the graphics are quite nice. Best $15 I've spent on a game.

8. I have original real bout for the psone , the port is all that bad , just a little chopperific.

I also have RBFFS ( for Saturn ), and I must agree, it is one of SNK's best fighting games. I still whip it out from time to time for a few rounds ( and imagine being on the recieving end of Mai's Forward, Down-Back, Forward + C Super Move ^_^ )

The EX Characters are pretty nice ( mainly Andy, he's the most different ), but I think that it puts RBFF 1 to shame in many ways. Also, this is one of the games in which you can charge Yamazaki's Serpent Slasher fully up, and have him slash in 3 different directions. The combos and gameplay are very nice ( and fair ).

Anyhow, I just remembered that I got this game and Radiant Silvergun on the same day. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep for the next few weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    SNK is like an abusive boyfriend; he keeps hitting me, and I want to leave him, but then I think about the good times we have together and keep telling myself I'll give him just one more chance to change.

10. I enjoyed the game. . .but. . . yeah, I don't like the look of the sprites. KOF just makes everyone look so much better.