Thread: "What's Shenmue?"

1. "What's Shenmue?"

I've seen a few of these on Ebay. Does anybody know what they are? I would assume it is some kind of Japanese TV special on Shenmue that has footage of the game and maybe an interview with Yu, but I could be wrong.

Is this what came with Virtua Fighter 3 in Japan maybe?

3. I think it's kinda like a demo disc, where you do Shenmue type things, but you have to help out this guy from some Japanese DC commercials.

I could be way the fuck off though, since the last time I heard of this was like a year before the original Japanese DC release of Shenmue 1.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    I think it's kinda like a demo disc, where you do Shenmue type things, but you have to help out this guy from some Japanese DC commercials.
    That would be interesting...

5. I downloaded some clips of this from the late chv.net. Some changes I remember:

• Some music (that I've never heard in the real game) seems to be constantly playing when you walk around the streets and such...
    • The arcade has arcades added / changed. Also the dart game is more like the one at the harbor (in the real game) instead of the one that's usually in there.
    • You end up chasing the Sega President (?) exactly like you chase Jimmy (?) in the real game.

I know I have pics somewhere, but I dunno if I want to upload them...

6. "What's Shenmue" is a preview disc of sorts, that was given away by Sega in an attempt to hype up the release of Shenmue on the DC. Its gameplay is essentially identical to Shenmue's, but rather than looking for Lan Di, you're looking for Sega's former managing director, Eiichi Yukawa. It apparently isn't anything special, but it's probably worth picking up as a collector's item if you're a Shenmue fan and you can find it cheaply.

7. The scenario alone has me interested in it. If you're looking for a game with the guy from the Japanese Saturn ads, get Rent-a-Hero No. 1 for either the DC or the Xbox, as he's your trainer in the game.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. Well, I wasn't too far off I guess.