Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Stanley Kubrick fans at TNL?

1. Any Stanley Kubrick fans at TNL?

What are your favorite films of his? Any of you actually enjoy 'Eyes Wide Shut'?(the greatest arthouse film of all time imo)

2. Eyes Wide Shut is far from the greatest "arthouse" movie of all time, but I still enjoyed it. I think it gets a bad rap.

My personal favorite Kubrick film is Dr. Strangelove, with Spartacus running a close second.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    Eyes Wide Shut is far from the greatest "arthouse" movie of all time, but I still enjoyed it. I think it gets a bad rap.

My personal favorite Kubrick film is Dr. Strangelove, with Spartacus running a close second.

If you knew what I knew about the film you would agree. The film has layers upon layers upon layers of symbolism.

Spartacus isnt a real Kubrick film imo, it was taken from him and had the ending altered. Kubrick wanted to show the truth about Spartacus, the studios wanted to make him a hero.

Strangelove is excellent although a completely different type of Kubrick film compared to EWS.

4. Even with all the hidden things, Eyes Wide Shut is dissapointing and mediocre.

Full Metal Jacket kicks all kinds of ass, though, as does Dr. Strangelove and Paths of War.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloak
    If you knew what I knew about the film you would agree. The film has layers upon layers upon layers of symbolism.

What exactly do you know? I'm curious.

I think that Eyes Wide Shut is pretty good. I think the creepiest scene was when everyone in the room wearing masks turned and looked at Tom Cruise's character. That gives me chills everytime I watch it.

I also love Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange. Which I'm surprised no one mentioned yet.

6. Symbolism is the most obnoxious and pretentious reason for worshipping a film.

At any rate, favorite is The Killing, followed by Clockwork Orange.

7. Yeah I dig his stuff. I like his slow yet involving style of directing. There's only about 2 or 3 movies by him I don't like. And I still think Kubrick's The Shining was better than the novel.

8. Kubrick IS pretentious, does that make him any less of a god? Not all film is meant to be absorbed in one viewing, film is ALSO an art form, not just a way to get ot 2nd base and a tub of popcorn in your stomach. Also, if you think you understand Eyes Wide Shut, and all it's symbolism, you are most likely overestimating yourself.

!WARNING! SHAMELESS PLUG BELOW !WARNING!
    Gonzo, if you want to know about all the hidden shit in the film, bookmark www.KUBRICKIAN.com It's my animated flash website that will eventually detail every aspect of symbolism found in the film. I decoded the film over an almost 4 year period since it's 1999 release.

I used to have another EWS website that detailed much of the film's symbolism, but I shut that down after obtaining the new domain name and started to study flash in depth. The site should be opened hopefully sometime soon, I'm still working on it's animated intro, which has been more trouble than I first imagnined.

EDIT: The Shining is also another film chock full of symbolism, it's my 3rd favorite film.

9. I've already seen a site that explains, in detail, all the hidden themes in EWS.

That doesn't make the movie suck any less, however.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloak
    Kubrick IS pretentious, does that make him any less of a god? Not all film is meant to be absorbed in one viewing, film is ALSO an art form, not just a way to get ot 2nd base and a tub of popcorn in your stomach. Also, if you think you understand Eyes Wide Shut, and all it's symbolism, you are most likely overestimating yourself.
    And not all films need to be muddled in textbook bullshit and enigmatic gestures to be profound.

But, whatever. We all don't need our lectures.