Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: $99 In September?

1. If it drops to $100, do you think it'll still come with a free game? Damn, I'd pick up another one for Mario Kart lan action if it was $100 w/a game.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Barton
    yeah um...i reeeeeeally doubt that has anything to do with it. the xbox's controller is better for fighting games, and just look at how shitty its fighting game line up is.

Yet, it's common knowledge amongst gamers, that the GC's controller is the least fit of the 3 consoles, for fighting games. It defineatly did'nt take long for Capcom VS. SNK 2, for the GC to hit the bargain bins.

3. no one ever said it wasn't, i know i sure as hell didn't. all im saying is, it having a shitty controller for fighting games is beyond irrelevant here.
    that has nothing to do what so ever with the console not selling as well as Nintendo expected. i've yet to ever hear anyone (message boards included) go "im not buying a GameCube because the controller sucks for fighting games". it's not like there's any fighting games on the system to complain about it sucking. sure there's CvS2, but that game can go fuck itself.

Soul Calibur on the other hand is a good game, but also doesn't use your traditional fighting game button layout, and has already proven to work just fine.

so once again, the controller having a shitty button layout for fighting games has nothing to do with it. like i said, if it did, the xbox would have a much better fighting game line up than the GameCube. what's it have over the GameCube right now? Tao-Feng? Kakuto Chojin? oh yeah, big system sellers right there.

so once again, the point is, the system having a shitty controller for fighting games didn't contribute to bad sales for the console.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Barton
    no one ever said it wasn't, i know i sure as hell didn't. all im saying is, it having a shitty controller for fighting games is beyond irrelevant here.
    that has nothing to do whatever so ever with the console not selling as well as Nintendo expected. i've yet to ever hear anyone (message boards included) go "im not buying a GameCube because the controller sucks for fighting games". it's not like there's any fighting games on the system to complain about it sucking. sure there's CvS2, but that game can go fuck itself.

Soul Calibur on the other hand is a good game, but also doesn't use your traditional fighting game button layout, and has already proven to work just fine.

so once again, the controller having a shitty button layout for fighting games has nothing to do with it. like i said, if it did, the xbox would have a much better fighting game line up than the GameCube. what's it have over the GameCube right now? Tao-Feng? Kakuto Chojin? oh yeah, big system sellers right there.

That controller is also a hinderence to sports titles. Play Madden or NFL2K3 on a GC pad and then play it on the PS2. There is a world of difference. I still love my GC, but I can admit the controller was'nt designed with the 3rd party publisher in mind.

5. they carry PS2 to GC and PS2 to Xbox converters in every major game store now
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    but I can admit the controller was'nt designed with the 3rd party publisher in mind.
    obviously. that controller was designed for one developer and one developer only. any other developer that can make use of its brilliant design is more then welcomed.

and i have NFL2K3, on GameCube, just for the controller alone. so tell me, how is the dual shocks or xbox's button layout better than the GameCubes for sports games?
    the only thing that the dual shock has over the xbox and GameCube controller are the 2 extra shoulder buttons used for your choice of stiff arming, or juking (sp?).

please enlighten me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Barton
    obviously. that controller was designed for one developer and one developer only. any other developer that can make use of its brilliant design is more then welcomed.

and i have NFL2K3, on GameCube, just for the controller alone. so tell me, how is the dual shocks or xbox's button layout better than the GameCubes for sports games?
    the only thing that the dual shock has over the xbox and GameCube controller are the 2 extra shoulder buttons used for your choice of stiff arming, or juking (sp?).

please enlighten me.

That's right, the extra shoulder buttons are a big factor. May seem like a small indifference to you, but to me, it makes a world of difference. Either way, Sony and MS pushed their systems with sports gamers in mind. The average US gamer ate it up and the sales numbers don't lie. If there is any doubt, one of the biggest sellers of last year, was Madden 2003 for the PS2.

Another factor I'd like to add, is that the GC had a piss poor memory card at launch. 59 memory blocks was not enough for a game like Madden. Even the larger memory card is barely enough for a game like Madden. Sony did it right, when they released their console with a substantial 8 Meg memory card.

8. yeah um...you obviously keep dodging the arguement, so i figure you realized you're wrong or something.

i'll try asking one last time.

how did the GameCube having a shitty controller for fighting games contribute to bad sales of the system considering that there's pretty much no fighting games on it.

MS and Sony pushing there systems with sports games have nothing to do with controller design if you ask me. all 3 controllers are more than adequate for sports games. it's really a simple matter of making the shoulder buttons juke, and the C-Stick/Right anolog stick stiff arm. works very well.
    also, your only beef seems to be football, since you haven't mentioned shit about any other sports games.

but yeah, i'll try again, please enlighten me.

9. Well, if anything good comes of the price drop, its that Sony will drop the PS2 prices a bit.

That way, it won't be so painful to replace broken PS2's...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Barton
    yeah um...you obviously keep dodging the arguement, so i figure you realized you're wrong or something.

i'll try asking one last time.

how did the GameCube having a shitty controller for fighting games contribute to bad sales of the system considering that there's pretty much no fighting games on it.

MS and Sony pushing there systems with sports games have nothing to do with controller design if you ask me. all 3 controllers are more than adequate for sports games. it's really a simple matter of making the shoulder buttons juke, and the C-Stick/Right anolog stick stiff arm. works very well.
    also, your only beef seems to be football, since you haven't mentioned shit about any other sports games.

but yeah, i'll try again, please enlighten me.

The fighting game part, was just me pointing out that the controller does have flaws, that could have easily been avoided. You could also consider it another reason why there are'nt many fighters on the system.

Using the C-Stick is'nt what I'd call convenient, or conventional. Nintendo needed to do more than just keep fans of the N64 happy, when they designed the GC controller. If they really wanted to make an impact, they would have realised that many US gamers love sports games and were very acustomed to using a PSX controller. Sure Nintendo did'nt want to look like they were copying what Sony did, but how often do you hear people complaining about the PSX or PS2 controller, except with the stiff D-pad?