Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo 64 Disk Drive

1. Smile Nintendo 64 Disk Drive

ok so...decided to make a thread about the games...well, software and hardware for the 64DD for some reason. anyways, here goes.

The System

obviously the system was an add-on system for the Nintendo 64. it was made so that 3rd party developers could stop bitching about the lack of space on 64 cartridges. it also had re-writablity capabilities.

here's what the disks looked like.

here's a picture of the Capture Cart

On to the software...

Mario Artist: Paint Studio
    this was probably the closest to Mario Paint from the Mario Artist series. it pretty much let you do the kind of stuff you could do on MS Paint. using the Capture Cartridge or the GameBoy Camera with Transfer Pack would allow you to put your own pictures in the game. and mess around with those too. it also let you make your own little flip books too. it also had 3 3D enviroments and let you mess around with the creatures by changing textures and stuff like that. they consisted of some dinosaur world, mars, and some kind of ocean world.
    it also had a polygonal 4 player Fly Swatting game.

Mario Artist: Polygon Studio

well, all this really was was a program that let you make 3D models, make textures, put them on your models, and stuff like that.

Mario Artist: Talent Studio
    this has to be the coolest one of the group. it was pretty much a movie maker. once again if you wanted to, you could use the Capture Cartridge or the GameBoy Camera with Transfer Pack to put your face on a variety of character models, and make crazy movies. i won't bother going into details, just check out an example of the kind of stuff you could do though.

the movie is a must watch.
    Movie 5MB

anyways, supposedly all the Mario Artist programs worked with each other, so i don't see why you couldn't make a texture on Paint Studio, or a character model in Polygon Studio, and use them in your Talent Studio movies.
    Mario Artist has to be easily the coolest possible spiritual sequal they could've made for Mario Paint.

F-Zero X Expansion Kit
    this has to be one of the coolest things ever. pretty much, you get to make your own cars and levels from scratch. infact, the tools that you're given to make levels are pretty much the same ones that EAD used for making F-Zero X. that's really all you could do, so i'll just post some pics.

Sim City 64
    never played any Sim City games, but i'd imagine this is more of the same. it's in 3D, so you can get a view from the streets and take a look at everything. it works with the Mario Artist software, so you can make characters and stuff and put them in the game.
    here are some pics...

Doshin The Giant
    some god game that got decent reviews, nothing special really. it got ported to GameCube not to long ago. infact, the port was done by Giles Goddard literally all by himself. um, doesn't seem like the game is ever gonna hit the states, but if you really want to play an english version of it, it did get translated and released in europe. because of that, it shouldn't be hard to find reviews/previews of the game if you're interested.
    here are some pics...

if you're interested in getting one, i wish you the best of luck. i think only 350K were made. although there is one on ebay right now that made me jizz my pants right there and then when i saw it. and it's still cheap as fuck right now. check it out here

anyways, i guess that'll be all.

2. Wow, I thought this never made it past the testing stages. Damn that looks so sweet.

3. I really want the F Zero Expansion Kit. *drool* Me want to make tracks.

4. The 64DD is always been something I've wanted to pick up, but the price is prohibitive for me.

I actually didn't know you could design cars in F-Zero X. I knew you could do tracks, but not cars. That I'd love to do. Ditto for Polygon Studio. I'm a big fan of those types of games. It's a fun test of your chops as a modeler.

5. That seriously looks very awesome. Some of the few GameFAQs things on the 64DD got me excited about the add-on, and I wish it made it stateside. Sim City 64 looks amazing.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Looks great. It's a nice touch how the Mario Artist titles interact with each other.

7. Neat.

That pic of the city-stomping-mario is sweet.

8. Eric has one of these. Odd looking things, really.

9. Xbox 360 I

I remember when this was supposed to be the future of Nintendo and was going to save the N64. Ah well, I would have liked to try the Mario Artist and F-Zero DD games.

10. I thought it was kinda funny how the Pikachu N64's were built without the slots that the DD hooks up to.