Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any fans of the Might & Magic series here?

1. Any fans of the Might & Magic series here?

I've only played VII and I'm only about 1/2 way through (maybe less) but I love it. It's one of those games that has countless flaws but you forgive them 'cause it's just so fun, so addicting, so satisfying. And the music is surprisingly excellent as well.

Are the others worth playing? I've heard IX was the last one forever and that it sucked. Apparently VI, VII, and VIII are all very similar.

Has anybody actually finished all nine of them?

[thumbnail]http://falcon.tp.devry.edu/~tmcn9298/mm3.jpg[/thumbnail]

I tried to get into 6 and it just didn't happen. It's not that I begrudgingly bought the game spiting 3D0, I just gave it a good college-try since I liked the previous 3 titles so much. Somewhere between 6 not resembling any facet of previous MM titles and my PC (still) being a P200/128 with no card, I played 2 hours of it and just gave up. And I've never looked into the series since then.

However I can tell you that the disc out there called "Might and Magic Trilogy" is 3, 4, and 5 on a CD. The games will easily run on any PC today and still provide lots of things to do. Despite the fact that these MM titles have very little in terms of storyline aside from some longwinded text encounters, lack music, and provides the only view of your characters as 100x100 icons (or tombstones, etc), there are still many other areas the series does right to keep you interested in playing. That is, if ultimate stat building is your idea of a good time

4 and 5 are worth seperate mention since they truly do integrate; the storyline crosses over, your party stays intact and you can use portals to flip between 4's world and 5's.

I can't offer you any insight into 1 and 2 other than that they are ancient and probably not worth the time.

If I recall correctly, when I saw someone playing MM2, an enemy encounter provided seventy Wolves. Their deaths occured line by agonizing line...

3. I don't have much exposure to RPGs like this (Eye of the Beholder for SNES is the only one I've played and enjoyed), but I was interested in getting the TurboCD version of M&M3.

Thanks, I'll keep this PC comp in mind if I decide to experiment with M&M.

4. i used to love the old DOS ones... but they really just turned it into a cash cow and destroyed the creditibility of the series.

5. I'm a fan of Heroes of Might and Magic 2&3 (not tried 4 but i've not heard good things about it). Maybe I should give the main series a shot sometime.

6. try kings bounty on a sega genesis emulator... its the game that started the series...

7. The Heroes of Might and Magic games are some of the best time-wasters ever created. They're just so intuitive, fun, and easy to get into.
    Right, because if anything validates the existance of a handheld piece of shit, it's taking those shitty handheld games and placing them on a screen big enough so that the inherent flaws of the software is visible to all humans. Including Ray Charles.

8. VI and VII were moderately good time-wasters, though I wouldn't want to play them again. VIII looked like yet more of the same (VII was already a rehash, y'see), while IX is widely considered one of the worst PC RPGs in a while.

9. Xbox 360 I

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman
    The Heroes of Might and Magic games are some of the best time-wasters ever created. They're just so intuitive, fun, and easy to get into.

I agree. I never really bothered with the standard Might and Magic games but once my friend let me borrow Heros of M&M 2 he almost never got it back.

10. Quote Originally Posted by BenT
    VI and VII were moderately good time-wasters, though I wouldn't want to play them again. VIII looked like yet more of the same (VII was already a rehash, y'see), while IX is widely considered one of the worst PC RPGs in a while.
    So what happened with IX? They finally deliver a new engine but break everything else? Was it different developers or something? (i think i read this).