Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cabin Fever

1. My racism? So the other people in the theater were all racist? And the black guy I bought the ticket from who didn't like the movie was racist?!

WOW!!! We're all so racist because we think the worst when an old white dude called black people niggers. Neato!! Let me go start calling my black friends niggers and see how that pans out!

2. I had a nice long reply typed up yesterday, only to have it lost thanks to an internet issue...You'll have to make do with this.

Delta,
    Yes, YOUR racism. You, me and everyone who judged that guy could be considered racist. Concerning the "black guy you bought your ticket from", yes, he can be racist too. However, not liking the movie and finding it racist are two different things. I didn't like the movie and I certianly do not find it racist.

You seem to be confused, racism is not "hating Black people" it is discriminating against someone due to their race. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is exactly what you, me and everyone else did. We all thought the worst of him because he was white. Don't feel bad, I thought I was pretty open minded and even I thought he meant it in a negative manner. That is the beauty of the "joke," It is so unexpected. It is meant to show you that no matter how openminded you think you are, you still have some prejudice. And just for clarification, racism isn't exclusive to white people. EVERYONE can be racist.

Go ahead and call your friends the dreaded N word. If they beat your ass, don't come crying to me. Obviously, that old guy was good enough friends with those kids to the point where they could see past his skin color. If you notice, they all referred to eachother by that word as well. Does that make them racist too? Hell they even called him the N word. That word has taken on a meaning similar to "dude" albeit, more offensive. It is no longer restricted to a negative conotation.

Quick question, had it been a black guy playing that shop owner, would you be so disgusted? How about if he were to say "That's for the Crackers" ? Do you get offended when a rap song has the "N" word in it many times? How about when a black comedian does the stereotypical "white" voice and says that white people can't dance or have no butt or something? Yet if a white comedian made jokes about black culture you'd be crying for him to be stoned. Double standards suck.

But, I'm getting off topic. What we are discussing is clearly not racism. The word in question was used in a friendly manner. It's all in the context. And don't give me this crap about "it's their word." No race owns any words. To say that non-black people are not allowed to say it, is racist. If a black person can say it without the negative overtones, than so can a white person. To say otherwise is judging someone based on the color of their skin, hence racism.

EDIT - I should also note that this is the last I'll discuss this subject. I am sick of repeating myself and we are dragging this thread in the mud. I can't make myself any clearer so if you want to continue to think the movie is racist, go ahead. Everyone I've talked to has understood the whole issue and you are the first I've seen to find it racist. I really think it either went over your head, or you just couldn't recover from the "shock" of when he said "it." Good day to you.

3. I'm not saying the the movie was racist. It makes you think it is and it makes you lose your interest in the movie.

It's all fine and well that the old dude wasn't racist. BUT movie-goers thought he was racist. Not cool. Not cool at all. No need for it in a movie like this. It's a horror film. If you're gonna tell a joke like that, don't make the audience wait an hour and a half to find out it was a joke.

4. The only redeeming thing was that they drink "Arrogant Bastard Ale." Look on the box of beer they buy from the store.

5. Shit, I thought it was funny the FIRST time he said it! I was like WTF? Delta, UndeadKing makes a good point about the gay references. Why don't you have a problem with how they were using the word "gay" with negative connotations? Everybody is way too PC nowdays it's getting kinda old. Oh and so you don't lable me racist for thinking the joke is funny I am half black. So I guess it's OK according to you.

6. Well, I am loading it now, so hopefully I will see it tomorrow. Will post my thoughts later.