Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is emulation possible on XBox?

1. Is emulation possible on XBox?

The Dreamcast has several emulators that allow you to play games from other systems on it (nesterDC, Mamed, etc.), I was wndering if the Xbx, beingthe mst powerful system n the market, has any emulators for it?

Would it be able t handle CPS-2 games like Alien vs. Predator, Marvel vs Capcom 2, mars matrix etc.

I'd love t be able to play some of the older 4 player arcade games like TMNT 1 & 2 and Wrestlefest on my Xbox.

Des anyne have any idea?

Yes, it is possible. There were reports of a version of MAME running on the X-Box Hardware, and that it might actually be mass-produced.

I read this in Game Informer magazine, and also on GameSpot quite a few months back.
    Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    SNK is like an abusive boyfriend; he keeps hitting me, and I want to leave him, but then I think about the good times we have together and keep telling myself I'll give him just one more chance to change.

3. In fact it is a lot easier to port one to X-Box rather than PS2. Think of the XBox as a fixed hardware PC with minimum upgradability. It runs DirectX 8.0 or 7.0, and it's OS is a modified 32-bit Windows. It adheres to most of the rules of the PC and adds a few of its own by allowing the programmer to optimize their graphics stuff on one graphics API of Nvidia. The problem is that the machine has not yet been figured out by homebrew developers, so the only way to write software for it is to be licensed through Microsoft. However, there are a lot of knowledgeable people hacking the shit out of it as we speak, so it won't be too long before we get MAME, Kawaks, and SNES9X running on it. If the box can read regular CD's it shouldn't be a problem. In the end it is all a matter of linkscripts and memory mapping.

seen

4. MvC2 was a naomi game... i think...

... well... it ain't a CPS2 game... eh... not like it matters

... and i'd say that the XBox could pretty easily play emulators, if it wasn't for the copy protection...

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    the one main problem will be how to get the emus on the xbox....since its VERY pickey which cdr's (if any) itll read. and if MS isnt planning on having web surfing abilities....its going to be even harder.

Capcommie Guest
    I'm afraid the only way we will likely get a CPS-2 emulator on Xbox is if Capcom decides to port their old arcade games as a package. The problem is that they likely don't have the rights to AvP, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, etc. anymore.

7. I'd love a CPSII emulator- much less heartache with suicide PCBs.

Is it theoretically possible that the Xbox could run via emulation such advanced arcade titles? It only has 64MB of memory but then i'm no technical expert.

Yeah, that's what sucks about good licensed-based games. Companies are either too cheap or are unable to re-acquire the licenses.

For example, it pissed me off that the Intellivision compilation on PS1 lacked Tron: Deadly Discs. Most InTV owners agree that it's the best game on the system but it wasn't included in the compilation, probably because they didn't want to pay Disney any money.

9. Originally posted by FirstBlood
    MvC2 was a naomi game... i think...
    That's right.

10. Originally posted by Sidez
    I'd love a CPSII emulator- much less heartache with suicide PCBs.

Is it theoretically possible that the Xbox could run via emulation such advanced arcade titles? It only has 64MB of memory but then i'm no technical expert.
    There are some handy compression alogrithims these days that I'm not sure were in effect with CPSII games. In any case - I would almost guarantee it working. Now getting it to work well - given the nature of emulators - is a whole other matter.

ºTracer

EDIT - Also, I'm pretty positive that the RAM in the Xbox is signifigantly faster than in CPSII or anything before Naomi 2.
    o_O