Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is emulation possible on XBox?

CPS2 games actually run quite well on a PC with 64MB of RAM, so it shouldn't be a problem. Getting them to run 100% perfect might be hard though.

2. Originally posted by Sidez
    Is it theoretically possible that the Xbox could run via emulation such advanced arcade titles? It only has 64MB of memory but then i'm no technical expert.
    From what little I know about emulators...
    It'd be a close call, but I don't think the Xbox would be able to handle it. While the Xbox has a similar set-up compared to the CPS3 system (hard drive based storage in addition to ROMs), the RAM becomes the problem. The Xbox would have to be able to load the entire uncompressed ROM set into it's 64 megs of memory and still have room left to emulate the CPS3's system RAM.

3. I think it could swap from the hard-disk or removeable media - the memory pipeline is much greater in Xbox than in those older RK'd boards. From what little I know of course :/

ºTracer
    o_O

4. First things first. CPS3 is not hard drive based like Midway games like Killer Instinct 2, it is instead CD-Rom based and loads into RAM for about 20 minutes at boot-up.

Second, you need a a little more ram than the game because you're emulating the ram of the CPS 2 system too. The way to do this is to get the size of the largest CPS 2 game and add the memory map, and scratch ram, Z80 ram, object and video ram. The RAM total is over 300KB. This includes the video ram which takes a big chunk of that being 192KB. It might not be a lot but when a game itself weighs in at 50 or more megs, you're gonna be counting every byte after that. Also, typically you will not have 64 megs to push around because the XBox OS takes a piece of it too at maybe around 3 or 4 megs. This is the reason why consoles use the CD format. You only need to load a portion of the total game not the whole thing at once.

seen