Thread: You're Under Arrest! The Movie

1. Thumbs Up You're Under Arrest! The Movie

Earlier I covered the OVAs of this series and thought it was a decent little show. However, this being a full-length feature film I expected more.

I'll get the good stuff out of the way first. The designs of the characters are very nice, and the animation can be pretty slick. The action scenes are also good.

Now the bad. First off, this movie is SLOW. The plot moves like molasses, and those 90 minutes drag on and on. Second, the whole story truly feels like an extended episode. The villains are just typical smugglers, and they do nothing outstanding. Even the head honcho behind it all doesn't show up until the end, and by that time you'll be bored out of your skull to care.

And unfortunately, the animation is also one of the bad things about this flick. Most of the scenes are mere still frames that are supposed to be conveying intense moments, so it looks like one big slideshow at times. Might be ok for TV, but for a movie? Nope.

ADV must've also realized this was crap because the DVD has NO extras. None. Just some previews.

2. Yeah, it was done by the same people who did the omakes, that ADV also released, which were just as disappointing. Thankfully, Animeigo finished up the boxsets for the first tv series so have plenty of YUA goodness to watch, even if the animation quality of the tv series is rather poor. Not the 'still frame' deal, but sometimes the characters go way off model, similar to third season Ranma 1/2.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. The omakes DVD isn't good, Ammadeau? Expand on why...I was thinking about picking it up. I liked the manga.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    The omakes DVD isn't good, Ammadeau? Expand on why...I was thinking about picking it up. I liked the manga.
    First off, it has the same still frame animation problem Freeter mentioned. This can be very annoying at times. Secondly, 90% of the plots around men either peeping on women or stealing their underwear. Now this may sound like a good thing, but after the third one in a row the plot idea becomes boring really fast.

Even those that don't feature this plot usually end up as 'men are pigs who get beaten up and caught by women.' I remember someone else saying they heard YUA was feminist bullshit. At the time I wondered what the heck they were talking about since the tv series isn't like that, but these omakes definitely are.

Don't touch the omake disc. Just wait until the TV series gets a single disc release, if they haven't started that already.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2