Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Halo: official

1. Raspberry Halo: official

Though I'm sure all of 3 people here like Halo, I feel compelled to make the official thread, considering this is probably my most anticipated game currently (since it's also out pretty soon -mid/late Sept, depending which retailer is telling the truth ). I mainly can't wait for the game because of the online play, but after reading the Halo prequel novel, I really want to go through the single player again as well.

Gearbox (best known for helping with many versions and mods of Half-Life) is doing the port, and apparently they're really pushing the customizability and community for the game, so the online play should be really good. I'm sure Microsoft isn't giving Gearbox all that much room to add things to the core game, but they've been able to do a few things, the most substantial of which are two new weapons (the feul cannon that Hunters are equipped with, and a flamethrower), and two new vehicles (well, kind of new; you can now use the Banshee, as well as a rocket launcher-equipped Warthog, like the one seen in the Halo 2 E3 video). There are also six new multiplayer maps, and editing tools will be available for the game, so there should be plenty of user created goodness, too.

Also; preorder at EBGames and you get a free copy of the second Halo novel (The Flood)! Here are screens of the new goodies:

Feul Rod Cannon:

[thumbnail]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/pc/halo/0715/halo_screen004.jpg[/thumbnail]

First shot of the flamethrower:

[thumbnail]http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/images/flamethrower.jpg[/thumbnail]

Banshee dogfighting:

[thumbnail]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/pc/halo/0715/halo_screen003.jpg[/thumbnail]

Rocket Launcher Warthog:

[thumbnail]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/e3/pc_halo/pc_halo_screen001.jpg[/thumbnail]
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. I still don't see the point in porting Halo to the PC. There are too many better FPS's to play. I thought that was the whole point in Halo being so beloved was because most console gamers don't know a good FPS game, unless you want to count the mighty TUROK!!!

If it has Blood Gulch, I'll buy it out of morbid curiosity. Plus I bet a lot of you guys who are actually into PC gaming will buy it...so I'll have 3 people to play with. Until then, back to dreaming about HL2.

There, I filled the troll void for your thread =D

I mainly can't wait for the game because of the online play
    It's been online forever This is nothing new.
    Play Guitar Hero //

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sl1p
    I still don't see the point in porting Halo to the PC. There are too many better FPS's to play.
    Well I'm not saying Halo is the best FPS ever, because it certainly isn't, but it's still a very, very good one imo. And the point of porting it to PC is the multiplayer, in which Halo is excellent. There are definitely a ton of excellent multiplayer FPSes for PC, but none of them do what Halo does best even nearly to as good, and that's the vehicles, at least imo. BF1942 was one of the biggest PC game dissapointments I've had (right next to Black & White ), because though the vehicles were decent, their use in the game was absolutely pathetic. Halo doesn't require you to be on a friggin' LAN to make it's vehicles successful like BF does. And Tribes 2, from all accounts I've heard, utterly pales in comparison to Halo, and most FPSes, for that matter.

I thought that was the whole point in Halo being so beloved was because most console gamers don't know a good FPS game, unless you want to count the mighty TUROK!!!
    I think you misspelled 'Halo' for 'GoldenEye'. Easy mistake

If it has Blood Gulch, I'll buy it out of morbid curiosity.
    It does, and I hope you do. I'm sure you'd like to virtually shoot me in the face as much as I would you

Plus I bet a lot of you guys who are actually into PC gaming will buy it...so I'll have 3 people to play with.

Until then, back to dreaming about HL2.
    No arguements there.

It's been online forever This is nothing new.
    Yeah, and it's real fun. Until you realize that the guy that's been standing there for two minutes as you unload into him hasn't died yet and you haven't ran out of bullets, then a frame later see your dead corpse on the floor and realize he shot you in the back of the head at point blank range and is now making artificial 'buttfuck' motions as you lay dead

...damn, lotta quotes

4. Everything has been pretty opinion based but-

Halo doesn't require you to be on a friggin' LAN to make it's vehicles successful like BF does.
    See, theres one of the reasons why I wonder what the point of porting Halo to PC is. Everyones multiplayer experience with Halo has been sitting in a room with a bunch of people, being able to clearly make out plans and whatnot. That affects the way you and your team use vehicles. Now take that, seperate everyone, give everyone a keyboard and lets say...40% of the players online with microphones (If this game will support built-in voice that is) and suddenly you have problems. Unless this is a well planned Clan match you won't be seeing all the whacky warthog moments. You will however see all the same moves over and over again in public games because they work (Don't you play TFC? Every public game of 2Fort is played exactly the same. Why? Because then everyone knows what to do. It's like that for pretty much every online FPS though). I don't know...it's weird to explain.

My Halo experience on Gamespy wasn't too bad. Except I kept getting kicked out of every game because OH GOD FORBID I didn't have 4 people on my XBOX at once.
    Play Guitar Hero //

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    BF1942 was one of the biggest PC game dissapointments I've had (right next to Black & White ), because though the vehicles were decent, their use in the game was absolutely pathetic. Halo doesn't require you to be on a friggin' LAN to make it's vehicles successful like BF does.
    You either have no idea what you're talking about, or you are the worst BF1942 player who ever lived.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mamoscott
    You either have no idea what you're talking about, or you are the worst BF1942 player who ever lived.
    I was going to say something about that myself but I feel I did so while talking about whats going to happen with the vehicles when you play a public game of Halo online. Sure, it depends on the people you play with but I already see people killing their team mates to get the tank.

Also, the vehicles in BF (Especially planes) were done pretty well. Thats sort of the whole reason why the game is popular here.
    Play Guitar Hero //

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sl1p

Also, the vehicles in BF (Especially planes) were done pretty well. Thats sort of the whole reason why the game is popular here.
    Yeah, I don't really understand why he thinks the vehicles are useless. They're only pathetic if their pilots have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Personally, I prefer to be ground infantry most of the time, but I can still hop in a plane and kick some ass with bombing runs when it is needed. Of course, that's not very often, because in pubs, so many people would rather sit around and fight with their teammates over planes than actually play the damn game and capture some flags.

A good bomber pilot can practically destroy a whole team and control half the map. Tanks are crucial to capturing territory and storming bases. Jeeps are obviously necessary for transport and suicide bomber missions. I could go on. Maybe Andy can elaborate on why he thinks they're so pathetic and why the game disappointed him so much?

Blah, I don't want to derail the thread too much though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mamoscott
    Yeah, I don't really understand why he thinks the vehicles are useless. They're only pathetic if their pilots have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Personally, I prefer to be ground infantry most of the time, but I can still hop in a plane and kick some ass with bombing runs when it is needed. Of course, that's not very often, because in pubs, so many people would rather sit around and fight with their teammates over planes than actually play the damn game and capture some flags.
    You've pwned yourself and proven my arguement in one fell swoop, good one!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    You've pwned yourself and proven my arguement in one fell swoop, good one!
    Critical flaw in your reasoning: The same will happen with Halo's vehicles.

People will be people -- and the basic human instinct in online play is to screw over the other players. That's why clans were formed.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Sl1p
    My Halo experience on Gamespy wasn't too bad. Except I kept getting kicked out of every game because OH GOD FORBID I didn't have 4 people on my XBOX at once.
    xbconnect was for the most part tolerable with 4 on a box and 2-3 boxes over the net.
    I can't wait for the ablitiy just to jump into a game without the tunnelware downfalls...(see excessive wait, drops, etc)