Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo trying to change its image ?

1. Nintendo trying to change its image ?

if you look at the lineup for the GC right now, and then include resident evil (which is an amazing game) its clear to see the oddball of the bunch.

ive come to believe that besides just wanting to secure a great series, Nintendo was (is) attempting to attract older gamers and steer away from their (deserved or not) kid oriented image.

does anyone else agree that this is the case ? and will we therefore see other titles intended for the older audience coming to the GC ? or will this plan fail, and the older gamers will for the most part stick with their ps2s and XBoxs where they believe that many of the games that werent programmed for the under 14 crowd are going to be showing up ? and if that is the case (this ties into the other thread) will capcom then decide to abandon the Cubes exclusive rights to the title in an effort to have the series reach a wider audience ?

2. I think while Nintendo did/does have a somewhat less mature age target that they do indeed put lots of effort into their games, especially gameplay. Things like Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong, Pokemon (Well the GB one was addicting), Luigi's Mansion was sure fun to play. Killer Instinct was also Nintendo under the rareware house. I don't think Nintendo's downfall is really less gore, I think the developers they have signed just aren't good. And before they used carts which were expensive to produce and easy to pirate. All if Nintendo's first party stuff is good, they need more good developers for their systems, and they need more originals, not ports. Though I must say, Super Smash Bros on gamecube is pretty crappy I don't know why people like it.

3. Originally posted by Phire
    And before they used carts which were expensive to produce and easy to pirate.
    Expensive, yes. Easy to pirate? Umm, carts can be pirated, but they are much, much harder and more expensive to pirate than CDs and DVDs.

4. CD's are only cheap to pirate becuase of time, CD-R's were not cheap and blank CDs were not cheap. A DVD-R used to cost $5,000 now there is a consumer model for $400 and then you need the blank media which varies between 5$ and up. When you pirate a form of RAM, you need a device which lets you transfer data and then just RAM which can hold the data. It depends on how much RAM the device uses to say how much it would cost. But for something like N64 (And let's just say it was the latest) it would be a one time cost of $400. And as for being harder, ANY form of RAM is piratable by an average programmer. The programmer does the hard work and releases it in a form to the consumer. Like with CD-R's, you don't build the CD-R or the ripping software, you just use it. It only took less than one month to pirate GBA games, and like 4 or 5 months for N64. It took much longer for PS2 (Which still isn't complete) and Dreamcast.

5. Nintendo isn't trying to change its image. Why would they want to? Their products sell well, the games are all in that niche that totally appeal to the Japanese, and it's really starting to get back to where it was in the snes days. Give it a year or two, and we'll see how it is.
    It's a mirror image!

Andy787 Guest
    I think the only people who think Nintendo is trying to change their image are the people who want that to be the case :P Honestly, if Nintendo were actively trying to change their image, we wouldn't have to question if they are or not, they would make it perfectly clear. The reason we're seeing more support and older games on GC is because it fits the market. N64 was hard to develope for and didn't fit the gaming market that was made of games that fit the disc medium, which is why we didn't see the support we're seeing for Cube. Had N64 been a disc system and Nintendo been better to developers, we'd see the same kind of support (be it multiplatfrom games or the exclusives) for it that we are now.

7. Ummm blank DVDs are under $2....

Nintendo games=good, no matter what audience they're trying to reach.

9. Originally posted by Phire
    It took much longer for PS2 (Which still isn't complete) and Dreamcast.
    I'm not up on the latest pirating methods, but I was under the impression that anyone with a DVD burner could pirate PS2 games since launch day.

10. Nintendo games=good, no matter what audience they're trying to reach.
    agreed, and let me clarify that i enjoy a lot of nintendos first party games, and am not trying to flame them in any way, but i think that their reputation with casual gamers especially is hurting them as some people dont want to buy a console they think will be dominated by "kiddie games" and the release of RE could change some people's minds.