Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Complete Bastard!!

1. The Complete Bastard!!

Anyone else see this?

I rented the first disc, and while the first two episodes were just setting up stuff, the other 3 on the disc were great. After a slow start, this show became so over-the-top I couldn't stop watching. Ninja Master Gara was an awesome character, and Dark Schneider (geez, what a name) was pretty funny at times, even if his character's eyes seemed occasionaly too close together. This series has plenty of gore and fan-service too, if that's your bag. I'll have to see if there's another season or disc, since it seemed like the series was just getting into it's groove by the end.

It's almost a parody like Slayers, but the action, art, and overall tone are much better.

Some of my favorite parts:
    -SPOILERS!!-

-Dark Schneider's overridingly horny motivations
    -The crazy and hilarious names for all the spells they use
    -Dark Schneider's solution to defeat Ifrit
    -Ninja Master Gara cloth dissolving slime (how devious!)
    -Gara throwing a celebration feast with one arm chopped off
    -Gara impaling himself further on the cyclop's spike, just to hack the dark elf out, and then being thrown his sword and making a complete comeback
    -Schneider ripping out his own heart just to save elf-girl, and then rebuilding it later out of sheer will
    -the fact that no one ever abbreviates 'Daruku Shyunaidaa'

2. First disc? It's a one-disc release. I have it and have watched about half so far. It's awesome, Dark Schneider rules.

However, if you like the anime, you'll love the manga. As over-the-top the anime is, it pales compared to the crap that happens in the manga. There's blood, guts, and cursing every two seconds. Plus, you get all the original spell names (named after 80's metal bands), since in the anime they had to change them so they wouldn't get sued.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    First disc? It's a one-disc release. I have it and have watched about half so far. It's awesome, Dark Schneider rules.

However, if you like the anime, you'll love the manga. As over-the-top the anime is, it pales compared to the crap that happens in the manga. There's blood, guts, and cursing every two seconds. Plus, you get all the original spell names (named after 80's metal bands), since in the anime they had to change them so they wouldn't get sued.
    Well, the story didn't end at the last episode, so I didn't know if there were other discs out there. I forgot about the crazy Country names, like Meta-Rikana and Waito Suneiku, another cool, if bizarre touch.

Again I ask, though, where do people get translated manga from? Is it out in the U.S., can they just read Japanese, or are they there english versions that are just unavailable in the states?

4. Funny you should mention Bastard, since the manga stopped in Japan a couple of years ago, but only restarted this month. Pity I've only seen translations in Spanish, not english, though the art is incredible... and all the women have huge knockers.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. bastard is such a mixed bag in my collection. some of it is good, but some of it is just stupid at the same time. the ninja clan owns though.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    Funny you should mention Bastard, since the manga stopped in Japan a couple of years ago, but only restarted this month. Pity I've only seen translations in Spanish, not english, though the art is incredible... and all the women have huge knockers.

Luckily for me, I can read spanish almost as well as I speak english.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

7. Fury, i have heard that if you like this,check out "Sorcer on the rocks", for a similarly amoral lead,and over the top humor. its a bit more recent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

8. I saw a LE with action figure a while back in my local FYE. Maybe they still have it. I'll check it out tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

9. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    -SPOILERS!!-
    You know we DO have spoiler tags for a reason

And Bastard the manga totally own Bastard the anime.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Lordmrw
    Luckily for me, I can read spanish almost as well as I speak english.
    I could get the general idea of the plot from the Spanish scans, but it only made me want to see a english translation more. Guess I should have been paying attention in spanish class in high school instead of doodling.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2