Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandonware gaming

1. Abandonware gaming

It's for anyone interested to relive the glory of classic computer gaming, or to discover its joys for the first time. You can pretty much download any old school DOS game just like how you do with console ROMS and all. So what are your favorite DOS games, I'd like to know.

Here my faves

Buck Rodgers 1 & 2
    Manhunter- San Francisco
    Ultima Underworld
    DOOM series
    WoLF 3d
    Ultima 5-7
    Dangerous Dave series
    Alley Cat
    Police Quest
    Kings Quest 2,6
    Quest for Glory 2
    Usagi Yujimbo
    Monkey Island 2
    Dagger of Amon Ra
    Test Drive
    Colonels Bequest
    Wing Commander series

Please don't make any requests in this thread, as it's a direct violation of TNL rules. You can easily find all of these gems using Google.

2. Monkey Island 1&2
    The Incredible Mahine 1&2

3. I'm a big DOOM fan, but I kinda wish there was some way to rip the PS music files for this game so I can use it here.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

4. Why is it against TNL rules?

I thought abandonware was legal?
    BTFJ

5. Is "The Oregon Trail" a DOS game? If so, it's my favorite.

6. it's a grey area. some companies have given permission for their old games to be distributed, seeing as they haven't been in production for several years. there are others, lucasarts in particular, that still support/sell their back catalog. then there are others that don't produce/support their old games, yet they don't allow free distribution.

i haven't found any comprehensive site listing the various developers and their stance on abandonware, but i honestly haven't looked very hard.

7. Master of Magic. Superb strategy game, to this day it has yet to be duplicated in all aspects (though Age of Wonders and Heroes come close in some ways).
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact

8. x-com owns all of you. aside from that, i've been playing a lot of doom lately [jdoom].

Quote Originally Posted by Victrix
    Master of Magic.
    good call. on a related note, master of orion is also an excellent game. while i like moo2, i miss the simplicity of its prequel.

9. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    then there are others that don't produce/support their old games, yet they don't allow free distribution.
    It's pretty sad this industry has it's fair share of assholes that do that. (pardon my english)
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

There are so many good DOS games out there. A Mind Forever Voyaging gets a big recommendation from me.

Also, many DOS games were also released on other computer formats. Very often the PC doesn't have the best version so sometimes you're better off getting an emulator(ST, IIGS, Amiga, etc.).