Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Witch Hunter Robin

1. Witch Hunter Robin

I've watched 20 of the 26 epsiodes, enough to give some pretty fair commentary and impressions.

It should be known that I watched an HK rev, and the subtitling was downright atrocious. I'm sure I missed some nuances here and there, but like a lot of anime, it ain't all that hard to generally figure out what's going on.

WHR is from Sunrise, who also brought us the high-quality Gasaraki. Much like Gasaraki, Witch Hunter moves at a fairly slow pace as it tracks the doings of the STN-J, a secret arm of the secret STN, devoted to taking out of commission the apparently numerous witches and warlocks plaguing society.

The series opens with the orphan Robin, looking to be fresh from the nunnery (prim, demure, and dressed in black), replacing a recently fallen member of the STN-J. Robin was recruited for her unique ability to cause things to burst into flame; that and her religious devotion. The team leader is Amon, the brusque-rugged-good-looking-mysterious-type, who takes orders from the equally mysterious boss. The rest of the team is a fairly obligatory cast: there's the "computer/hacker" guy; the "smart girl" who has a vauge ESP ability; the "goofy girl" who doesn't do much at all; the "happy go lucky" guy; and the plain old "nice guy".

Each epsiode has the team hunting down a witch or two, and at first it seems that each episode is a stand alone with no real plot. Wrong. What evolves (epecially during episodes 8-16) is a fairly complicated story of the shadowy STN, and a series of betrayals, an age-old evil, Robin's true origins and the source of her abilities, and the fear that it inspires in certain powerful quarters. Of course, there's also the increasing romantic tension between Robin and Amon. It's not as complicated as Gasaraki's plot, but it's certainly employs the same deliberate (read: slow) pacing.

Having already dragged this on for too long, here's what's good: the series repeatedly presents great locations and atmospheres -- shadow-filled alleys in a rainstorm; a too-sunny park harboring a great evil; dark apartments lit only by the moon; the stony underground chamber of an ancient church (for the trial, you see); and so on. Great attention to detail from the slick witch-hunting guns with rune-covered bullets, to the glint off of Robin's newly acquired wire-frame glasses.

Often, the series get downright creepy, even bordering on scary. There no lack of tension here, and the action is displayed with a huge sense of style.

"Tense and moody" aptly decribe what I've seen so far, which suits my tastes. However, this one may move too slowly for some you.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

2. I only had a chance to watch 2 episodes, but I already like this series alot. Nice animation, and cool theme and characters. I always liked dark themed Anime, and mix of horror and action that Robin has is very cool.

I need to watch more of it though.

3. I was thinking about posting a thread about this series yesterday.

I read some stuff on the internet about this show, and it looks great. The character design for Robin is fantastic. I don't think the official U.S. DVD release is until October...

Tell me more about it, but no spoilers, please.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Quote Originally Posted by Prince Planet
    WHR is from Sunrise
    I'm sold. Pow.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

5. i saw episodes here and there at my ex's place a few months back. i like the style and the look and the story seemed pretty good from the random episodes she was trying to complete. this is definitely a title i'll be getting come october.

6. I've been waiting for it to come here forever. Wish I could find the manga too. It kinda reminds me of hellsing in a way, but with a better story.

7. Never did like this series... saw the first 4 episodes fansubbed a while ago and I found them to be boring. Very boring.
    Nice animation, though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    Never did like this series... saw the first 4 episodes fansubbed a while ago and I found them to be boring. Very boring.
    Nice animation, though.
    You won't be alone when WHR sees a dometic release: anime fans will purchase it based upon the slick designs and seemingly cool subject, only to be treated to some rather slow opening episodes.

Again, I didn't even realize that there was a cohesive story until somewhere around Episodes 6-8. Having made it that far, I found the story to be engaging (wait until the Priest shows up!), and the whole thing becomes increasingly macabre.

It never moves quickly, but it does become considerably more interesting. And the animation is top-notch for a 26-episode series.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

9. WHR is an anime that not everyone will easily like. I guess you have to really get into it otherwise you would feel that its completely slow and boring. I watched it through and liked it. Hell, I think Robin is kinda sexy even though she's like 15. But hey, it's Japan and their standards are different so that age is irrelevant.
    Macbook Pro 15" Unibody | Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
    Sprint Touch Pro 2 | iPhone 3GS 32GB | iPad 32GB

visit louie tran spot! a blog for geeks by a geek

10. I know what you're saying, raziel. It seems that every time I watch an anime with some hot chick in it she turns out to be 12 or something sick like that. The chick in Angel Links is only 16 and she's a DD-Cup, at least.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww