Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonderfull Days - Korean 2 disk dvd set

1. Wonderfull Days - Korean 2 disk dvd set

Much talked about Korean entry into big Animation genre is set to come out on dvd next week. Unfortunately it didnt do too good at Korean Box Office, and this makes future of other big animation productions, to be rather bleak.

Looking good

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=11654

I will post more information on this set, and other places where you can order it, as it becomes available.

2. aww damn that sucks. Guess they won't being showing in theathers anywhere else either then.

The box art looks damn nice tho.

3. Someone's going to snatch this up. My money's on ADV.

4. I haven't seen any of it. Screens?

5. I've seen a bit in this month's New Type. It looks fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

6. Here's a blurb about the movie on http://animated-movies.squareworld.com/News.html
    Korean Animation Thrives, but Lacks Local Identity
    The recently released animated feature Wonderful Days took more than five years and a record-setting 13 billion won ($11 million) to make it to the big screen. But despite a huge marketing and merchandising campaign, the futuristic epic about an environmental dystopia failed at the box office. It opened in fifth place, behind the second week of Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, and was gone from theaters in just two weeks. Nevertheless, Wonderful Days, which grossed a disappointing $1.9 million, was actually one of the more successful homegrown cartoons in Korean history, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Over the past couple of years, several animated releases have come up short at the box office. It's not that Koreans don't like animation--such foreign animated films as Spirited Away and Finding Nemo routinely perform well. And the success of local live-action films, which sell as many tickets as Hollywood fare, shows that Korean filmmakers know how to make and market popular films. So if local films do well, what is wrong with the Korean animation industry? Story line is the most common answer. One of the biggest complaints about Wonderful Days is that, despite the quality of the animation, the film's plot is not nearly as compelling as the visuals. "Even [Wonderful Days] director [Moon-saeng] Kim has said that directors shouldn't write their own screenplays," says Stephen Kim, one of the producers on Days. Observers believe the problems plaguing animated films in Korea are a direct result of the industry's troubled history. Although the local sector began to thrive in the 1980s, that work was almost exclusively from foreign contracting, which has led to creativity taking a back seat to original content as foreign animators dictate every detail to a cell. "Koreans' technique is OK, but they don't know anything about creation," says Nelson Shin, founder of AKOM, one of Korea's biggest animation houses, where programs like The Simpsons get made. In addition, for years Korean companies depended on cheap prices to maintain their competitive edge. Animation houses would bid on many projects, then farm out their contracts if they acquired too much work. But those subcontractors usually received no credit for their work, giving them further incentive to do a fast, serviceable job. Peter Chung, creator of MTV's popular Aeon Flux, says discount drawing is not a formula for long-term success. He points to the rising competition around the world, especially from such countries as China and the Philippines. "You can't keep basing your success on being cheaper," he says. "You have to make people think you're doing a better job or else you're just digging a hole for yourself." The need to move beyond foreign contracting and produce more original content has been recognized by the government, leading to the creation of the Korea Culture and Contents Agency (KOCCA) in August 2001. "The Korean government regards the culture and contents industry as the core strategic industry of the knowledge-economy society," says KOCCA in a press release. Observers see this as a time of transition, with Korean animators in the process of developing a signature style, like Disney or Japan's anime industry. Lee Sung-gang, who won the top prize at 2002's Annecy International Animated Film Festival for his psychological fantasy My Beautiful Girl, Mari, thinks the key for Korean animation is simply time and the chance to grow. "There have not been many animated works produced and directed by Korean directors," he says. Lee thinks short-term business thinking has created an unfair impression that Korean animation is not doing well and feels there is too much emphasis on business and box office. "It clearly shows how people think of animation--it's a kind of gambling, not a cultural industry," he says. "Culture not founded on 'art' is weak, and no industry without culture will last long. One more important thing about being young," Lee adds, "is that Korean animation can go forward in various ways while avoiding the typical way of Japanese and American animation, since they have almost reached their limits of originality."
    I don't think this marks Korea's original animation industry as bleak -- there have been many, many projects like this that have turned out to not make as much money as they should have. GAINAX even built their company on one such project (though Honneamise doesn't suffer from the problems that WD seems to have).

I think the Korean industry is going to try again for a breakthrough project soon, and hopefully it will have a good plot behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Vegetable
    I've seen a bit in this month's New Type. It looks fantastic.
    Then someone has licensed it. Newtype doesn't showcase stuff that isn't on the license block.

7. Stupid region coding. Else I'd preorder this DVD already.

Quote Originally Posted by negitoro
    Stupid region coding. Else I'd preorder this DVD already.
    Region free boots will be on Ebay very soon.

9. An interesting article about state of Korean Animation industry:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../film_korea_dc

88, Yes. Once dvd gets released, bootlegs will be all over Ebay, just like with Resurrection of Little Match Girl or Returner sets.

10. Quote Originally Posted by negitoro
    Stupid region coding. Else I'd preorder this DVD already.
    My official Region 3 copy of My Beautiful Girl, Mari is actually Region 0. Hopefully Wonderful Days will be like this as well.