Thread: Excel Saga manga

1. Excel Saga manga

Just picked up volume 1 of the Excel Saga manga, and it's...interesting. It's pretty much as wacky and out there as the anime, but for some reason it doesn't convey this as well in still pictures as opposed to animation. I don't know, having seen the anime itself first, and witnessing how everything in it is so animated (meaning constantly moving, not animated, I know it's a cartoon, I...er, nevermind) and all over the place I just have trouble having the series now confined to still pics. Still, once you get past that problem it's still a lot of fun. I'll wait until I'm done reading the entire volume before I say if it's a hit-or-miss as the anime is (there's some completely awesome episodes but lots of them suck too).

Vis published it (in the accursed right to left format! ), and made the cute desision NOT to translate any of the sound effects. Instead, there's a referance index in the back (what SHOULD be the front ) of the book to find out what the kanji says in each panel, in addition to all sorts of other notes about stuff in the book that explain the obscure jokes and referances, similar to the video-notes present in the anime.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. some of the sound effects are translated in the first chapter or so. but it goes back to the original japanese from then on. the second volume has all jap sound fx.

and i don't know why i even bother, but i'm collecting the mangas. the first one was completely stupid, and the second is more of the same but with something resembling an actual plot. i think it's the art that keeps bringing me back and nothing else. and Menchi's name is now Mince.

if you thought the show was hit-or-miss, you won't really change your mind about the mangas IMO.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Victor
    if you thought the show was hit-or-miss, you won't really change your mind about the mangas IMO.
    Yeah, I had that feeling. But I love the very forst episode of the anime so much that I just felt compelled to buy the first volume of the manga. I've read about half of it so far and I'm not overally impressed.

The art IS nice, though.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. it really isn't impressive. i went in hoping it'd be (somewhat) funnier than the show, but came out just feeling a whole lot more retarded. i dunno... i think i'm going to keep on collecting this for the sake of completion. maybe it will get better, but that's doubtful.

thankfully i've got plenty of other mangas to keep me happy.