Page 1 of 14 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay the HELL AWAY from Tao Feng

1. Stay the HELL AWAY from Tao Feng

So in his less-than-infinite wisdom, my roomie who was excited about Tao Feng bought it today. After having played it for the last few hours, I can easily place this among the worst fighting games ever made. Honest to God, this is pure and utter crap, the likes of which I have not seen in a very long time. This game makes MK:DA look like VF4, it is shit in every sense of the word.

The controls are not unlike taking SC's controls, removing what semblance of reaction they had, and then having them respond at random. Pressing down and having my character walk forward, pressing back and watching them twitch in place, watching them get stuck on stairs, it's all part of the experience.

Moves make no friggin' sense at all. The only time throws actually connect in combat is when the other person is doing a move (yes, throws cancel other attacks in the middle of their animations), we could never get them to work if the other person was just blocking. Blocking is half-assed at best, you basically hold back and hope the computer decides to let you block for brief spurts. Chi moves look pretty damn cool (there! Something good!). Most attacks are slow as hell and the juggling animation is among the most unintentionally hysterical I've ever seen. Players bounce while in a "V" shape and explosions erupt from hits.

And, well, the characters have been shown so you know how bad they look. Not even Mr. I-look-exactly-like-Jet-Li Divine Fist can save this, and he even gets bonus cool points for being Jet Li and having a neat intro. Unfortunately, gameplay follows that brief cool bit.

Again, I cannot stress how badly you all must avoid this game! Do not purchase under any circumstance, I would even recommend against picking it up if they paid you. This game is utter garbage.

This has been a public service announcement. Thank you for your time.

Wait... are you saying the game isn't good?

3. Originally posted by 88mph
    Wait... are you saying the game isn't good?
    Not at all. I think it's a beautiful piece of art that is understated in most every way and shall remain an underground hit known of its greatness solely by hardcore gamers. Only the real hardcore gamers, in any case.

4. Review, please!

5. Originally posted by Nick
    Review, please!
    DAMMIT! On one hand, I wanted to warn anyone who might even consider this, on the other I had a feeling Nick or Bahn might recruit me to play more if I did. Ah well, got to pay the piper... I can only hope I saved at least one lost soul in my sacrifice.

6. I didn't care for it much either.
    Jeremy Dunham
    Games Editorial Manager, IGN.com
    http://users.ign.com/collection/Makaze-IGN

7. Heh, I wasn't going to buy it after reading BenT's review on Gamespy, but the game still manages to interest me so I'll probably rent it anyway. Though any 3D game that uses back as block instead of a button just seems stupid.

Tao Feng 2 is already in the works, btw. The legend will never die even if you want it to.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

8. Re: Stay the HELL AWAY from Tao Feng

Originally posted by MechDeus
    And, well, the characters have been shown so you know how bad they look.
    Yeah, this is one of those games where you look at the concept art and realize there's a 90% chance of it being lame.

Any minute now the Kakuto Chojin support group is going to bust in here and start telling us to just give it a chance.
    -Kyo

9. Originally posted by Ammadeau
    Though any 3D game that uses back as block instead of a button just seems stupid.
    I don't find that stupid. What I find stupid is how unresponsive it is and how the camera keeps switching sides suddenly for no reason which means you go from blocking to walking right into attacks with no warning. Way to go, guys, way to go.

I really want to play it now, while I couldn't have cared less before... I don't get it.