Thread: Cool, Cheap Region Free DVD Player Solution

1. Cool, Cheap Region Free DVD Player Solution

Well, Being a huge Asian cinema fan I really needed the Region Free dvd player, to be able to watch many of dvds produced in Japan, Korea and HK, since some of those are Region coded (2 - 3). Well, While browsing one of the asian movie boards last week, I found an interesting thread where one of the players was mentioned. Daewoo 5700 was stated to be cheap and easy Region Free and PAL/NTSC and VCD/SVCD solution. It cost only aroud $100 in most places, and right now on sale at Sams club for just $90.

So, I thought for a few days, and decided to give it a try. Sice I will have a receipt, I will aways will be able to bring it back. And yesterday, I picked it up. I had a Region 2 PAL dvd, that my regular Toshiba player couldnt play, and few VCDs that neither Toshiba, nor my PS2 accepted either, so I proceeded with testing.

Well, It played R2 dvd perfectly, and the quality for good as well. Sure, its not gonna match with quality of high end dvd players, but as a cheap Region Free solution it is perfect. It played vcds as well, sure it little pixelated in dark areas, but it gives me option to watch them on big screen, other than my 15 inch monitor

So I'm quite happy with this player, plus I can always return it to the store in cas it starts malfunction, and just get a new one. For $90 you can afford that

2. Thanks for the info, I know someone who would be interested in one. I am too, but I want a really good one for our tv. Do you know if this player plays all regions, or is just region 2?

3. It should play any dvd no matter of the code. I dont have any Region 3 dvds at my house now. I will have to wait until some of the dvds I ordered arrive to test them, but I'm sure it will play them fine.

Here is the link to Faq about this player:

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17560

4. If anyone's looking for a high quality region-free player I can recommend http://www.world-import.com/

I bought a region- and macrovision-free Pioneer 333 from them a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier.