View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 10 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great 32/64-bit Era Debate

The Great 32/64-bit Era Debate

Another era with three great systems. Which do you think is the best console of the 32/64-bit era: the Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation or Nintendo 64?

Personally, I don't think there's much of a contest here, unlike the 16-bit era, but I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me.

The Playstation has a quantity and variety of games that the others can't match due its overwhelming amount of third-party games. Pretty much every genre and niche is filled with something good. Even the best 2d game of the era(SOTN) was on this system. Actually, the Playstation has lots of great 2d games, especially if you look to the import market.

That being said, I still think Nintendo and Sega were the best individual developers in the era.

The Nintendo 64 was kind of like the Sega Master System of its time(not in sales though). It had amazing first-party games, many of which were the best in their genre but the system overall can't compete with the third-party onslaught of the competition. There are no Playstation equivalents to Ocarina of Time or Super Mario 64; that's for sure. The major problem with the N64 is that it's missing great games in several key genres(traditional fighting games(i.e. non-Smash Bros.), RPGs, 2d games, etc.)

Sega's system fared better for third-party games than the N64 with all its great shooters and Capcom fighting games. Like the Nintendo 64, the Saturn excelled in first-party games. The Sega arcade ports combined with console originals like NiGHTS and Panzer Dragoon made for a great line-up of games.

The bottom line is: if I were to make a top ten games list from this era, I would have a mix of all three systems. But if I were to make a top 50 list, the Playstation would dominate.

2. The results of this poll will be remarkably different depending on whether you play/understand Japanese games.

And with that, I cast my vote for the Sega Saturn all the way.

3. As much as I'd like to choose Saturn as my fave of the three...

The sheer number RPG, and Strat-RPG titles in the Psone library wins me over.

Overall I'd say 64 and Saturn had more 5 star games, whereas the Psone has waaay more 4 star games.

I guess I just love 'em all.

4. I'm staying the hell away from this thread. It's not going to be pretty...

5. Originally posted by Ashod
    I'm staying the hell away from this thread. It's not going to be pretty...
    Bwahaha!

Yea, I was thinking the same thing.

lithium Guest
    If I could only own one and Bemani didn't exist, it'd be the Saturn all the way. But Bemani does exist and thus it's a hard choice.

The n64 had some great stuff, but not enough that was to my taste to put it in the running.

7. This thread is doomed to become swamped with elitism from all sides.

Personally, I'm still not done fully exploring the Saturn and PSX libraries to make a final decision between the two. I've had more experience with the PSX library so far, but it'd be premature to say I enjoy that library better when there's still a slew of Saturn games I'd like to try, yet haven't got around to. Both libraries have certain strengths that compliment each other well.

Eh, if I had to be stuck on a desert island with only one, I'd probably pick a PSX anyways.

8. i dont think i could pick one

the 64 had some of the greatest games of all time OOT, Mario 64, Golden eye, MariO Kart 64, Turok, etc

but then like Kid said the PSX had a SHIT LOAD of 4 and 3 star games while the 5 star games were far less

then you have the saturn with some just kick ass shooters and arcade perfect ports of all the capcom fighters and snk fighters that i have a sick sick sick adiction too

i seriously cant pick

its like each one fills a gaming genre for me you have Platformers, FPS, and Adventure games on the N64 then the PSX has RPGs, S-RPGS, and Racing Games covered, and the saturn has SHooters and Fighers covered

if you could combine them into one system itd be the greatest of all time
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Jay Guest
    I'm going with the safe answer, I loved all three systems. I knew what I wanted from each, and got more than my money's worth out of all three (considering I bought the U.S. Saturn AT LAUNCH I'd say that's one hell of an accomplishment.) Each system continues to get tons of playtime from me, and each system has given me tons of memories.

10. Each console filled in a gap that the other console lacked. I regard the N64, Saturn, and PSX as one entity that provides one with true 32-64 bit bliss.

N64 - great Nintendo first party games
    PSX - Castlevania ('nuff said)
    Saturn - quirky Sega games and great 2D fighters
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia