Thread: "Let's find the conversion deficiencies".

1. Neo-Geo "Let's find the conversion deficiencies".

Some of you do already know these boards. Interesting stuff to read. Waiting for additions.

Arcade to SS ports: http://boards.gamers.com/messages/me...cadet&id=zzedk

Arcade to DC ports: http://boards.gamers.com/messages/me...cadet&id=zzebw

2. Saturn

Power Drift - Reduced frame rate. In the arcade & DC versions you'll notice the position dots on the track overview moving smoothly. Here they jerk about.

Galaxy Force II - The same frame rate hit that plagues SS Power Drift rears its ugly head here, also.

Elevator Action 2 - No change as far as I can tell. For some reason the Saturn version uses a 7-digit score counter (maybe some players have broken the 1M barrier on the arcade?).

RayForce/Layer Section - No change as far as I can tell. Less slowdown than the arcade, if I recall right. BTW, Ving was involved in this one (I note a reference to Ving in the end credits)

Gekirindan - A whole lot of extra slowdown. Some of the scaling effects and line-scrolling are not nearly as smooth. The ending seems to be done in FMV, also.

Pulirula - It looks the same as the arcade to me. The PS version seems less smooth.

Darius Gaiden - Fewer colors: I see some dithering on certain larger enemies. GameFan had one of its reviewers saying that there are a few animation frames missing on bosses "but it isn't something you'll notice".

KOF'95 - Nothing changed. This is the most accurate KOF port. Ever.

KOF'96 - If you beat the game with an edit team, the game will crash. Really nice, SNK. There is also some sound dropout, and some sound samples are cut short (noticed on Mr. Big's "Beorei shimasu!").

Hyper Duel - Perfect.

Metal Black - Perfect.

Thunder Force 4 (from Gold Pack 2) - Zero slowdown.

Kyuukyoku Tiger 2 - The continue timer graphic is different, and the post-game high score table doesn't have that 4 seconds or so of guitar rock. Everything else seems fine though.

Chase HQ + SCI - What JAPJAC said on TFP about slowdown & improper car sprites as well as a few other things- wrong font used in S.C.I., Chase HQ doesn't add the 5,000,000 end game bonus to your score, & no high score table. It doesn't seem to affect your distance if you don't follow the arrow- Raymond still gets pissed at you, but the distance between you and the criminals actually keeps decreasing.

Batman Forever - A bad game in the arcades gets even worse when the character sprites are shrunken.

Dreamcast
    Sega Rally 2 - Bad framerate dives. If you reduce trackside detail you can lock the game at 30 FPS, but you should NOT have to do this. Ferrari F355 has graphics superior to Model 3 racers, so something got screwed in the porting of SR2. Chances are WinCE didn't help it.

Confidential Mission - Loads less slowdown than the arcade.

Street Fighter III - Dudley's Punch & Cross from the arcade is missing (which was hcb, f + P). Kao Megura wrote the FAQ for the DC version s and wonders if this move was actually a glitch.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin Himura
    Saturn

Power Drift - Reduced frame rate. In the arcade & DC versions you'll notice the position dots on the track overview moving smoothly. Here they jerk about.
    Also, weren't there some problems with black borders when the image rotates?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin Himura
    RayForce/Layer Section - No change as far as I can tell. Less slowdown than the arcade, if I recall right. BTW, Ving was involved in this one (I note a reference to Ving in the end credits)
    Love this kind of info.

KOF'95 - Nothing changed. This is the most accurate KOF port. Ever.
    As I said, there IS one thing missing: Characters aren't animated in the order select screen, when they should. Anyhow, I'm with you; Rutubo Games' best effort.

Batman Forever - A bad game in the arcades gets even worse when the character sprites are shrunken.
    That's curious. The arcade run on ST-V board; re-drawing the sprites should imply more hard work than just cut animation frames...

Sega Rally 2 - Bad framerate dives. If you reduce trackside detail you can lock the game at 30 FPS, but you should NOT have to do this. Ferrari F355 has graphics superior to Model 3 racers, so something got screwed in the porting of SR2. Chances are WinCE didn't help it.
    Hmmm. I'd never say ANY Naomi / DC racing game has superior graphics (technically speaking) to Scud Race or Kyuukyuusha Emergency Call, for instance, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion here.

Street Fighter III - Dudley's Punch & Cross from the arcade is missing (which was hcb, f + P). Kao Megura wrote the FAQ for the DC version s and wonders if this move was actually a glitch.
    How have I forgotten this one?

Thank you much. Let me know if I can "port" this info to the TFP board.

4. I see stuff about Mars Matrix having no visible scanlines because it's in hi-res. But I can see the scanlines quite clearly on a good TV in RGB. I've changed the screen height to 448 though; exactly twice that of the CPS-2 original.

The same goes for Third Strike in the default video mode. I can see the scanlines.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Recap
    Also, weren't there some problems with black borders when the image rotates?

Love this kind of info.
    (KOF95)
    As I said, there IS one thing missing: Characters aren't animated in the order select screen, when they should. Anyhow, I'm with you; Rutubo Games' best effort.

(Batman Forever SS)
    That's curious. The arcade run on ST-V board; re-drawing the sprites should imply more hard work than just cut animation frames...

(F355)
    Hmmm. I'd never say ANY Naomi / DC racing game has superior graphics (technically speaking) to Scud Race or Kyuukyuusha Emergency Call, for instance, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion here.

(SFIII)
    How have I forgotten this one?

Thank you much. Let me know if I can "port" this info to the TFP board.
    Sure, you can copy this info to TFP. No probs.

Scud Race is pretty hot graphically. Now that game definitely has better on-course artwork than F355. I haven't seen Kyuukyuusha Emergency Call in action myself though, but the screenshots look good. It's a shame Sega didn't do a Sega Rally 2 2.0 for the Dreamcast that wasn't made for WinCE.

As for Model 3 Step 1.0 ports, there's no reason why VF3TB shouldn't have been perfect. Genki wasn't given enough time.

6. DonPachi SS:
    - Poorly sampled sound effects.
    - Lots of slowdown, especially during boss explosions. In TATE mode, even the post-boss level bonus sequence has slowdown. Bizarre.
    - Level 2 boss has no "big explosion" sound effect.
    - Non-TATE modes are squished instead of cropped, resulting in massive rippling, but I won't hold that against the dev team since you're supposed to play it in TATE anyway.

I can only get to level 4, so that's all that's wrong up to that point.

7. Revolution X (SS) NO STUNNER SUPPORT. Why? This is a travesty. The arcade version has a little pixelation, but this one has a ton. The sound quality seems lacking except for the redbook BGM loops, and it's 2 players max only. I think Acclaim should've pimped this one out to Sega AM2 for conversion instead of Rage.

8. Virtual On (SS). A complete and total pile of shit. Err... Belgdor can shoot through obstacles, the framerate is half of what it should have been, Green Hills HAS NO HILLS, no single-frame cancelling, and most attacks do different damage, travel at different speeds, and track at different amounts than in the arcade version.