Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: PLAY, issue 5

1. Hey, D, didja know Verbal is in a hip-hop band and they're making CDs?

Check it out here:
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...=&threadid=599

Pretty nifty, eh?

But, yeah, the movie is going to be everywhere. Especially if they get a wide-spread theatrical release.

2. Doesn't surprise me one bit. He has his own way with words when he posts I can just imagine his lyrics. It's good to know that some of the old crew is still around. What about you Fatima? What have you been up to? Keeping out of trouble I hope?

D

3. Verbal Skillz

Anyone know where verbal might've posted some downloadable samples of his stuff?

--TDO

4. *warning* this ones gonna be pretty kinda long

Ok...so I just wake up...got tons of important stuff to do...but first, I log on. While scrolling down the front I notice the name Shola Akkinuso on the Level Up board. Do a double take...then come to the conclusion its some kid using his name...I proceed to check him out (and maybe snap on him a lil) and see its a thread about the new Play (which love it or hate it...is the best game rag on the market)...I click straight for his post (him being one of only 3 Anime\Gaming writers whose opinion i've ever admired and\or respected <still do>) and proceed to read him mentioning my name....WTF!!
    Click over to the first page to read every word (much the same way I did with GR and GF), all the while thinkin "Damn this is some good sh!t" (then rememberin...I dont drink or smoke), go through all the Play sux, Plays good, Plays ok posts til I get to his. Where he proceeds to call it like it should be called..and actually bigs me up as a writer (?). Ill tell you...I got teary eyed quick. A guy whose writing helped influence my own not only remembers my name but says im not bad with the wordplay.....this might seem silly to some of you, but its pretty meaningful to me.

Onto some other stuff..

To you guys who wanna trash PLAY (in email form) dont bother, I mailed Dave a coupla times with some praise and some questions (wheres Shola??? twice...seriously) but got nothing..so I doubt if a tirade would get a response.

HI D!!
    Hi Fatima!!
    Hi 2D!!!
    We owned the GG! Anime boards!!
    To Shola...thanks. You were\are in an elite class of writers who not only had true skills but had something to say as well...if you wrote a book (have you wrote a book??) i'd buy 100 copies kidnap a 100 babies and read it to em every night of every day til they turned 18...ill probably still do that with my kids (kids?) one day. Heres my email address mrverbal@mindspring.com if you ever wanna talk about Anime,Movies,music,life,women,drugs or just wanna get drunk and call me names feel free to use it!!

Other stuff..the album hit a financial snag thats been rectified, and things are back on track...no more release dates though, for a procrastinator (like me) those things are worse than Mamba venom.

Oh yeah, to Doshi..while dreaming about winning the lotto last week the thought came into my mind to give you the money to make the print verion of MoMa a reality!!!
    But since I didnt win..I guess it doesnt much matter.

Oh well, its the thought that counts.

lee
    (formerly and lovingly still known as verbal)

5. Originally posted by dyomides
    What about you Fatima? What have you been up to? Keeping out of trouble I hope?

D
    Ahh, just watching the world pass me by....and loving every moment of it.

What I want to know is what ever happened to lil' miss fiance? You guys tie the knot or what?

Uhmm...you don't have to answer that last one, if you don't want to.

6. Back on topic...I am firmly in the middle when it comes to "Play".

The Pros:
    -nice shiny layout
    -some entertaining features
    -some real good writers (who don't write quite enough)
    -that intangible enthusiast feel that most mags seem to lack or eventually get drummed out of them.

The Cons:
    -Dave
    -Dave writing reviews
    -Dave writing LOTS of reviews (Circus Maximus? Bleagh)
    -non-gaming related stuff...I know it's there to bolster the non-hardcore readership, but I think it's second rate maxim fare at best.

Anyway, i think it's the only mag worth suscribing to outside of EGM (I know, I know, they suck at reviews, but you gotta admit, they're the best of the bunch when it comes to features and exclusives right now), but that's not saying much.
    Ahh, Nextgen and Gamefan, why have you left us?...

PS. Bebop, start writing more stuff here, I can't wait to seem more of your import coverage! Japanese menu screens be damned...
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Redterrier

7. Re: PLAY, issue 5

Now before I start getting labeled a Dave-hater (I don’t HATE him, but anyone who was on the Gamers Republic boards with me more then a year ago can attest to the screw-over we undeservedly received), allow me to explain.
    Well, I was one of the people who was a regular on GR's old boards as well, but I don't really remember getting 'screwed-over,' though I guess I just have a different perspective on the situation. I guess it came down to the fact that the magazine's (and site's) death had become somewhat inevitable to me (based on how difficult the magazine was to find later in its life), so I wasn't at all surprised by it. No doubt it could have been handled better, though.

Still, I kind of doubt that it is fair to blame Halverson entirely for its demise - I'm sure there was other management (mismanagement?) involved. For example, I recall once firing off an email to GR many months before it died asking why the magazine had become so difficult to find. I remember receiving responses from multiple people at GR (much to my surprise - I figured I'd just be ignored); the GR Online guys were totally honest and cool - they said they didn't know what the problem was, but they knew it existed. However, one of the management guys (I can't recall his name right now) basically told me I was crazy and that the magazine was available everywhere. Sure Maybe if it would have had decent distribution, it would still be around today, but this guy didn't seem to think there was any problem.

Anyone agree with me? Or maybe think I’m a raging madman?
    Well, as far as Play is concerned, I do like the magazine, but it hasn't reached GR's heights yet (and certainly isn't anywhere near GF's league), though it is steadily improving, and the focus on games seems to be (thankfully) increasing with each passing issue; hopefully these trends will continue. Having said that, while I do enjoy reading Halverson's work (as I have since the GF days), there is no denying that he has already managed to blow their rating system way out of proportion with many of his reviews ... how many games can really be given a 5/5? The problem with that is, the other writers that are slightly more critical seem to judge games on a different scale altogether, which leads to a pretty messed up review system, and the main reason I don't even pay attention to the scores given out in their reviews.

But I do agree with your concern as well - while it is clear some of the games getting reviewed get a very thorough play through, some of the other reviews (particularily by Halverson) just seem slapped together after a brief play test, which is pretty annoying.

Still, in spite of this, I find it nice that there is once again a magazine aimed at enthusiasts and written by people who clearly love playing games; for me, this balances out the magazine's negatives.

8. Re: Re: PLAY, issue 5

Originally posted by Pantaloonman

Well, I was one of the people who was a regular on GR's old boards as well, but I don't really remember getting 'screwed-over,' though I guess I just have a different perspective on the situation. I guess it came down to the fact that the magazine's (and site's) death had become somewhat inevitable to me (based on how difficult the magazine was to find later in its life), so I wasn't at all surprised by it. No doubt it could have been handled better, though.
    **in my sweetest voice** On numerous occassions myself, and other board members questioned the state of GR/GR online. We were told everything was fine, not to worry, wait until our E3 coverage.

Then they were gone. Oh fuck it. There are more important things to drone over.

I just love reading the little names you have for Dave. "Jizz-rag", ha, that's the leader by far.

9. OT

Once we get the cash to pay for the wedding we'll tie the knot. We're living together in our own home with a newly purchased vehicle so I don't see that happening anytime soon. Thanx for asking though.

D

10. One odd little thing to note about the issue 5 cover:

Look at the shadow. It doesn't match the character. If you look at the handle of the hammer, it shows that her hand is not holding it at the bottom.

-Carter