Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: PLAY, issue 5

1. PLAY, issue 5

I just picked up the newest issue of PLAY magazine. As usual the cover design jumps off the rack, grabbing my undivided attention. Malice (Xbox, PS2) graces the cover this month, and looks to be coming along nicely.

The layouts are gorgeous in PLAY, and only get better with each month gone by. I love flipping through it, but I have to mention the one area that irks me more and more: Dave Haverlson. In this issue he writes 16 previews; 12 game reviews; 2 anime previews; and 7 anime reviews. That is an awful lot of articles by one man, even if he is the biggest fanboy to ever pick up a controller. Now before I start getting labeled a Dave-hater (I don’t HATE him, but anyone who was on the Gamers Republic boards with me more then a year ago can attest to the screw-over we undeservedly received), allow me to explain.

If a magazine decides to have one person review a game, rather then have multiple people do a mini-review, shouldn’t that game be played in depth? I doubt Dave has enough time to really dig into a game, analyze it properly, and form a well-rounded opinion.

I don’t understand why Brady Feitcher and Mike Hobbs (two of my favorite game journalists) contribute absolutely nothing in the fifth month of this magazine’s short life.

Anyone agree with me? Or maybe think I’m a raging madman?

2. I'll go with madman... I hate PLAY, and I doubt this issue will change my mind.

As usual, Dave seems to hog all the games he wants to review for himself.

I still like him and Play isn't a bad mag but they really need to kill the non-gaming section.

And being one of these people from the GR boards, I remember GR subscribers getting screwed bad. At least when GameGo died people could get refunded.

I agree the layouts are nice and the visuals and screenshots/captures are the best I have seen.

Korian

5. Well, I will go and check my bookstore now I like Play, so I'm interested in seeing a new issues.

6. Did you happan to watch the weekend edition of Access Holywood, seems like Dave is now their "Video Game Analyst" now. He talked in his ultra sterotypical nerd voice about some upcoming games, and most of the games that Access Holywood said are coimng out soon are already out. But Dave talked about, "Scooby Doo: Night of 100 Frights", "Legends of Wrestling", "Bitanys Dance Beat", and "Resident Evil". Each one of them getting the standard "its going to be a great game" preveiw that every magazine gives. I wish previews would be as informative as Reveiws, I have never read a preveiw that made the game sound bad. And yeah, single person Reviews are the worst, you need a point-counterp point stucture, one guy said this while the other said this. I mean in magazines that have multiple reveiwers I have seen scores like 9,8,4, or 4,4,8. But with one reviews you might just get the 4 review or the 8 review, whats one to think? I guess the tried and true play it for your self is the way to go, but most people can't afford that sometimes. Play is cool, but the layoit seems a little empty, thats cool and all, but seems like they could have more content if they filled it out a little.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

7. Re: PLAY, issue 5

Originally posted by BEBOPlover
    If a magazine decides to have one person review a game, rather then have multiple people do a mini-review, shouldn’t that game be played in depth? I doubt Dave has enough time to really dig into a game, analyze it properly, and form a well-rounded opinion.
    It doesn't really matter how much time he actually spends with a game. He loves every game he's ever played. At least that's the impression I get from reading his reviews. I don't think he's given a single negative review in Play yet.

The question is -

Does Dave love every game he plays or does he only review games he loves?

9. Originally posted by EThugg
    I'll go with madman... I hate PLAY, and I doubt this issue will change my mind.
    You ass! Ya could have let me know you received Jet Force.

Saint of Killers--your right, he hasn't scored a negative review yet. That's why I wish Brady and Mike would get involved. I always respected their opinion.

He's doing a TV show now? And he said Scooby and Britany looked like great games? He is the biggest ass-sucker in the world, isn't he?
    Will no one step up to the plate and bring us a game publication for gamers?

10. I echo my fellow posters remarks.

Dave Haverlson "reviews" like a zillion games a month, can we honestly believe that he's giving each game a fare play? I personally doubt it.

But I love the layouts, and it does have a teeny-tiny section on import stuff, which is always good.

I've heard a ton of bad stuff about Haverlson, but I honestly think if he reserved himself to simply editing the mag, but kept his nose out of the reviews/previews it could be pretty decent.