Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The RIAA cares about YOU!! --- Update 9/10/03

1. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Besides, here in Canada record companies get a slice from every blank CD sold to cover costs of us downloading music.
    So does the RIAA.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo
    So does the RIAA.

Really ?

yum yum yum ...
    Delicioso

3. Quote Originally Posted by Violently Happy
    Really ?
    Every Music CDR since the AHRA was enacted has a hidden tax built into the price! (2% of the manufacturers sales) This is supposedly to pay the artists for home recording. Who Collects the Tax? The RIAA under the auspices of the AARC. Who shares office space with the RIAA and has many of the RIAA employees working for it. I haven't been able to find one artist that was paid a cent of the money. 4% is set aside for non-featured artists, of the remainder 40% for the featured artist and 60% for the labels. To date I have not found one artist who has received one cent of this money. (Source: RIAA website) In addition every CD recorder has a $2.00 surcharge built into the price that goes directly to the RIAA.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo
    Every Music CDR since the AHRA was enacted has a hidden tax built into the price! (2% of the manufacturers sales) This is supposedly to pay the artists for home recording. Who Collects the Tax? The RIAA under the auspices of the AARC. Who shares office space with the RIAA and has many of the RIAA employees working for it. I haven't been able to find one artist that was paid a cent of the money. 4% is set aside for non-featured artists, of the remainder 40% for the featured artist and 60% for the labels. To date I have not found one artist who has received one cent of this money. (Source: RIAA website) In addition every CD recorder has a $2.00 surcharge built into the price that goes directly to the RIAA.

The RIAA are just a bunch of whiny money hungry cry babies. This info is good to know though.

Thanks .

yum yum yum ...
    Delicioso

5. I'm wondering how much the costs would turn out importing CD-R's + cost vs what you pay extra with taxes.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Gymkata
    Seriously...I just downloaded 2 Mp3s of Tsunami Bomb. They are the band that was featured in Disega. Honestly if I had never downloaded their stuff and heard their music, I would not have ever considered buying their album.
    Tsunami Bomb is awesome. I saw them at Warped this year! also, They're I believe on Kung Fu Records (The Ataris, Useless ID, and others are also on that lable). And their music is redily available in bestbuys and other places (Though they are almost always sold out when I go to buy their record). But the point I'm trying to make is that if It weren't for P2P, I wouldn't even consider buying their album(s). I have a hard tim buying things blind, I.E. going in, and not knowing what I'm spending my $15 on, like the RIAA would like us to do.